• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

198? Washington quarter Error or vandalism?

8 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone,

I came across this coin and want to know if it is an error at the mint, or someone tried to melt it. Any help or comment would be appreciated. If I am posting in the wrong section, let me know that.

166854.jpg.fc43e957fb39dc07fdc3eceab119714a.jpg

166855.jpg.bdc3f67b5babe0d08fc469081d8a1047.jpg

Not quite sure just what the heck is going on with this quarter nor do I understand how your taking these images because they are, should I say distorted but then again I take crappy shots anyways, so by my standards these are better.

Hopefully someone can chime in here and say these are not 'cuds' or a piece of a missing die or something else unusual happening at the Mint and not Post Mint Damage

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

That's a known mint error striking. The "blobs" are areas where the die broke away and formed what are popularly known as cuds. This die pair is cataloged as ST330 in Frank Leone's book Sam Thurman's Cud Collection. The coin is a 1983-P.

Thanks DWLange. I have finally made it back to sorting out my fathers collection, about 5,000 coins. I sarted a couple years ago, then got sidetracked. I love the history and The Identification process of figuring what and where a coin came from. ( I have a lot of foreign coins).

Any ways thanks again.