• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wicked "R" on this 1964-P Kennedy!

12 posts in this topic

I was looking through some of my Kennedy's the last weekend, and I noticed an anomaly on one with the obverse "R" in Liberty, along with a small area below the "R" where some of Kennedy's hair is missing, or, faint. The tail of the "R" in particular is pointed, and thinner than a typical "R" on a problem free '64 Kennedy. The tail of the "R" looks like a pick; and it doesn't have the length of the standard "R," or, even the curvature.

My first thoughts were some of the detail on hair was missing because of a grease filled die; however, the tail on the "R" has me perplexed. I've looked at the "R" with a 16x loop and it looks like a couple of cuts forming the tail. RE-engraved? It is hard to see, and that detail I can't pick up with camera.

Below are pictures of a typical "R" on Liberty compared to "R" with the pick like tail. I also posted other pictures with different lighting. Have any of you seen anything like this? What do you think- grease filled, re-engraved, or, other? A forum member ATS thought the lack of detail on the "R" was caused by an abraded / heavily polished die. Please let me know your thoughts- check them '64's!

Thank you!

Rich

166658.jpg.d3f6c1f125e5bd8d3740ae73509e6916.jpg

166659.jpg.ce08921564a506337fde60e451ef206a.jpg

166660.jpg.5074e6c7669634a46b9baa616e7bc694.jpg

166661.jpg.b7c81c4766557d84ede4c1faf99a30f0.jpg

Cool find.

This effect is from a worn die. You've heard of the three-legged buffalos, probably. This is the exact same effect - an older die is polished a bit, worn down a bit, and put back in service. On a die, the fields (low points on a coin) are actually the high points. So, when the die is worn, it is the high points that disappear first. This produces an effect like you see here.

I'm not terribly familiar with varieties on the Kennedy, I'll let others tell you if this is known or not, but the polishing of the dies is what caused it. You'll see similar effects on the busts of Roosevelt and Franklin when the bridge of their nose seems to disappear.

Thanks Jason, I think you're right with regards to the high points with the "R." There does appear to be two fine parallel lines forming the tail of the "R," at least what is left of it... I'm thinking this may be re-engraved; but it goes beyond my discretion so I put out a request with CONECA to verify this anomaly. I also asked for the 2016-D Roosevelt DDR finds to be added to their listings. Here's hoping, and many thanks again!

Rich

Looks like the new find called the Kennedy Rrrrrow. Get it, arrow, rrrrow. lol Oh well, I can't help it, I just crack myself up sometimes.

Cool find!

Thanks bsshog40! If I'm so fortunate by the coin gods of varieties, and they do deem this said example a variety, I will ask them to bequeath me the humble honor of naming this, "R," Kennedy the "arrow," variety- pronounced, "arrow-rrrow." I'd take it! (thumbs u

Rich

Thanks bsshog40! If I'm so fortunate by the coin gods of varieties, and they do deem this said example a variety, I will ask them to bequeath me the humble honor of naming this, "R," Kennedy the "arrow," variety- pronounced, "arrow-rrrow." I'd take it! (thumbs u

Rich

lol

While this is definitely the work of a polished die, it is not possible to really see what you mean by it having potential re-engraving on the end. Re-engraving is certainly possible. It is also possible that the remnant of the R is just very uneven.

There are numerous examples of die re-engraving on coins of the 1950s and less so, the 1960s, with occasional examples in other decades.

Also, the first of photograph, showing a normal R, might show die doubling on the hair strands.

While this is definitely the work of a polished die, it is not possible to really see what you mean by it having potential re-engraving on the end. Re-engraving is certainly possible. It is also possible that the remnant of the R is just very uneven.

There are numerous examples of die re-engraving on coins of the 1950s and less so, the 1960s, with occasional examples in other decades.

Also, the first of photograph, showing a normal R, might show die doubling on the hair strands.

Thanks coinman1794. I've tried to pick up finer details of the "R" but it is too finite for my camera phone. It could be uneven detail from polished die as you indicate; but, I see some separation, lengthwise, along parts of the tail of the "R." I need an expert to look at it in hand to make that determination. It's worth the $5 fee to me- even if it just goes to the education fund.

As far as re-engraving on other coinage; I've gone through a lot of my '50's-'60's proof quarters looking for re-engraving on tail feathers, also Liberty Walking for re-engraved initials. Haven't found any yet; I have a few more set's I need to check.

Also, the top photograph showing the normal "R," that looks like die doubling on hair strands, is a product of my camera skills, and photo manipulation. When I enlarged the photo- detail was lost creating that effect.

Rich

If you were going to go to the trouble of re-engraving the R why wouldn't you restore it to its normal shape?

My only "guess" is that it would have been easier to cut a few straight lines into the die to preserve the R, and the added curvature at the end wasn't believed necessary, or, thought about? It's slightly less than a millimeter of missing design...I know my thoughts on this piece may not hold water- but, it just looks like there's something there under magnification.