• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1955-s Roosevelt Toned

8 posts in this topic

I have some Roosevelt's that are album toned, have toning from various type set frames, and a few end roll toned; but I've never seen anything like this! What on this earth could create such colors, and patterns? I'm not a connoisseur of toned coins; but this "cheetah" like splotching of colors just doesn't seem natural to me- is this a natural, yet uncommon pattern of colors, or, would this create some concern too with experienced collectors of toned coins? Curious on thoughts, and causes of toning on this Roosevelt.

https://auctions.stacksbowers.com/lots/view/3-5ST8U

http://www.coinworld.com/news/us-coins/2016/11/vivid-toning-1955-roosevelt-dime-major-price-bump-market-analysis.all.html

You will hear some claim that this is "end of roll" toning, from where the crinkled and creased paper toned it irregularly.

I don't know if it is or not, but it looks weird to me. The reverse is quite unattractive, and the obverse is questionable enough that I would avoid it.

While I don't know how the coin toned that way, it looks natural and gorgeous to me. It has a look which I sometimes describe as "oil slick rainbow iridescence".

We understand that certain environmental conditions can cause very attractive toning. I just cannot accept this as natural toning. Although attractive at first glance, I couldn't spend the big money for this stuff.

I had the pleasure of viewing that 55-S in person. It is spectacular, and although I do not know what could have caused the toning, it certainly looked natural to me.

It would be necessary, at least for me, to know how this toning was created, and if I could match up to similar examples that display similar patterns / colors. If that were possible then I could understand a large premium over the technical grade. If not, I'd think there would be little premium- if any.

What concerns me with the unique display of colors, and pattern with this example is that "no known cause" can be identified with it's beauty. Heck, for all we know it could have had "natural" toning by being in the stagnant plumbing beneath an old urinal. I'm sure there might have been a few gentlemen who, "missed that call."

IDK- I guess I'd want to have a bit of provenance to cross reference, and the cause to it's created effect and other examples that display similar colors / patterns. Without that- to me any toning is purely "accidental," at best, and not "natural" as understood by mint set toning, album, type set, or, maybe a chain smoker in Florida.

No offense intended!

Rich