• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

new member: silver dollars

17 posts in this topic

hi: i just started collecting and wanted to share this image with you in the hopes that an expert here would be kind enough to advise me on what i have and if it is worthwhile to have them graded and placed in labelled NGC holders? Ideally i would sell these and/or exchange them for gold coins.

thanks in advance!

Full_Size_Render.jpgimage hosting site

Welcome to the forum.

Here are ballpark values for you:

1944 half dollar $5

1922 dollar $18

The other dollars $20-$25 each. However, check for mintmarks under the eagle's tail on the two 1891 pieces and the 1902. Depending on the mintmark, those three could be worth more.

It is unlikely that any of the coins merit the expense of grading.

thanks much Mark!

here are 2x 1891's left and center and the 1902 far right:

Full_Size_Render_1.jpgupload img

THX!

PS: and forgive my shameless ignorance, but my 1880 coins look a lot like this one offered here for in excess of $17k, and have that little "0" on the eagle side......

http://www.apmex.com/product/115174/1880-o-morgan-dollar-ms-65-pcgs?id=PLA&id=PLA&gclid=COfT943ZzNACFYhKDQodVYkKeA

Hi VLeo!!!

Welcome aboard!!! :hi:

FROM WHAT I CAN SEE, the coins appear to be common date coins in circulated condition. For the most part you are looking at being able to sell them for silver melt value with a minimal numismatic premium.

FWIW, the 1900 in the lower left looks to be heavily cleaned. Coins like that are essentially considered "destroyed" as far as numismatic value goes, and would definitely only be worth melt.

In any case, it would NOT be worthwhile to holder the coins.

I hope you enjoy "the Boards". You can learn a LOT about coin collecting here and on the other major coin boards on the internet.

One thing I would like to point out, you will hear a LOT of tripe from dealers trying to sell you items... such as, this deal is to good to pass up, or, this is an investment. The FIRST thing to remember about coin collecting is you have time. Yes, you might die tomorrow, but realistically you should be around for a chunk of time. TAKE YOUR TIME, learn about what you are contemplating buying, and remember there are ALWAYS other coins to buy.

Get a "Red Book", which is the core of any numismatic library. It will give you a little info on every US coin minted. However, do NOT trust the values in the Red Book, as coin values can fluctuate dramatically in any given year, and the Red Book is an annual publication.

Having said that, be fully aware that you will make mistakes... WE ALL do. There's even a nickname in the coin collecting field for this. It's called, "paying your tuition". As of in all things, we (hopefully) learn from our mistakes.

With regards to coins as an investment, yes, you CAN make money on coins, but the majority of people do NOT. Buy your coins with disposable income, and enjoy them for what they are. If you make money on them, so much the better, but even if you lose money, you'll have enjoyed them. Remember the most important thing about coin collecting is to HAVE FUN!!!

EDITED TO ADD: Mark's comments and your pix occurred while I was writing the above. I would agree with Mark's valuations for the coins.

thanks much Sky. I only "collect" ms70 gold coins in 1 ounces, and have never paid anywhere near a dealer price or close to grading suggested price -- i guess i've been burned in other areas of my life enough such that in this new hobby i hopefully won't be getting any additional "pain trades".

Thanks much!

and if anyone wants to do partial trade for ms70 1 ounce for all of these silver coins, please feel free to hit me up via PM.

VLeo,

I have had a great time in the past just filling a dansco album with raw morgans. They also sell good when you are ready to part with them. As you collect third party graded slabs (NGC and PCGS) you will get better with deciding on which could use a slab or not.

Enjoy Collecting!!

Rick

You want to trade less than 7 oz. Silver for 1 oz. GOLD in 70 -- (tsk)

...FWIW, the 1900 in the lower left looks to be heavily cleaned. Coins like that are essentially considered "destroyed" as far as numismatic value goes, and would definitely only be worth melt...

Even as a harshly cleaned coin, the 1900 would be worth more than melt value (which is currently less than $13), even if not by much.

VLeo,

I have had a great time in the past just filling a dansco album with raw morgans. They also sell good when you are ready to part with them. As you collect third party graded slabs (NGC and PCGS) you will get better with deciding on which could use a slab or not.

Enjoy Collecting!!

Rick

You want to trade less than 7 oz. Silver for 1 oz. GOLD in 70 -- (tsk)

i didn't mean straight trade -- i meant partial trade plus $ from me.

if anyone has a gold buffalo 1oz ms70 please let me know!

i guess i've been burned in other areas of my life enough such that in this new hobby i hopefully won't be getting any additional "pain trades".

No offense but I'm afraid you probably will find yourself on the painful end in the future as well. Especially if you are being able to buy MS-70 1 oz gold at well below market prices for MS-70 coins. What services have certified your 70's?

PS: and forgive my shameless ignorance, but my 1880 coins look a lot like this one offered here for in excess of $17k, and have that little "0" on the eagle side......

VLeo,

Welcome to the forum.

Generally, it's considered good form to offer items for sale/trade on the "Money Marketplace" board. The "US Coins" board is better suited for sharing general knowledge, asking questions, showing off interesting coins and such.

As for your 1880 coin (assuming they have "O" mint-marks), they may appear to be similar to the 1880-O $1 PCGS MS65 coin shown in your link to APMEX's website, but when it comes to coins, condition is EVERYTHING. The 1880-O is a semi-key, meaning it is relatively scarce in comparison to other Morgan dollars, but in lower grades, it is still enormously common. In comparison, the phenomenally popular and scarce 1893-S Morgan maintains considerable value at any grade, with even severely worn coins trading for thousands of dollars.

Of an original mintage of 5.3 million 1880-O coins at the New Orleans mint (O mint-mark), it's estimated that maybe 400,000 remain. Many were melted by the government and many others were melted at various points in history when it made economic sense to do so. Of those that remain, only about 100 are in good enough condition to merit a gem (MS65) grade. The last several of those to sell at auction sold between $10,500 to $22,300 depending on eye appeal and overall condition.

Your 1880-O coins are not in mint state condition and show considerable wear from circulation and general rough handling. They also show evidence of cleaning which further diminishes their appeal to collectors. They're just "old Morgans" like so many millions of others which can be purchased in virtually any desired quantity for a small premium to their bullion content.

If you're interested in what is a very fun series, try buying a slabbed common-date coin in MS-64. You'll quickly be able to see the difference between a mint state coin and a heavily circulated one.

Welcome aboard, and good luck to your numismatic journey. This board has contributed much interest, and knowledge to my collecting pursuits. I'm sure it will serve you well too!

Rich

welcome to the forums vleo. please do not send private email to people asking for professional grading. much abliged and best wishes, john

You could have sent him a message, without disclosing any of the content of his private message, here. "Obliged", not "abliged".

that is a very good point, a la 2 wrongs don't make a right....i'm new here, so that's sorta kinda my excuse. anyhow, thanks to the member for the PM inquiry ;)

welcome to the forums vleo. please do not send private email to people asking for professional grading. much abliged and best wishes, john

You could have sent him a message, without disclosing any of the content of his private message, here. "Obliged", not "abliged".

Sort of a reason it is called a private message. Who woulda thunk? Logic is wonderful.