• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Value of cracked proof sets?

11 posts in this topic

Yesterday at a charity auction,I picked up a 1999 Silver Proof set at a very nice price,except that it has a jagged crack in the case that while not affecting the coins,certainly affacts the overall presentation of the set.How badly does such a crack affect the market value of the set?

Sorry,but I don't have a scanner.Crack is on the state quarters half of the two piece set and runs from the top corhe downabout halfway between the two rows on the font and is much smaller on the reverse.Set appears to be still sealed,so lets assume it hasn't been messed with. All papers and the exterior box are present and in good shape.

Your thoughts,please. I paid $30 for it,the only coin piece in the entire auction.

"I paid $30 "

Wow, you made money that night. 893whatthe.gif The set is one of the keys in the later portion of the modern proof series and bids over $200. The crack is a hard sell for the retail, but I don't think a discount of more than 15% is unreasonable.

TRUTH

I know I got a great deal. I was prepared to go about $150 as I've seen buy ads of $200 for it. It was mostly an art auction but someone donated this coin set.It was also listed as a 1999 Proof Set,not a Silver Set.But as I was the only bidder,that didn't seem to matter.

Since it was a charity event,I overpaid for a Kieth Haring print I didn't want,to make up for it.

"Since it was a charity event,I overpaid for a Kieth Haring print I didn't want,to make up for it."

Who is Keith Haring?

TRUTH

Only the most important artist to come out of NYC in the last few decades.

You'd know his work if you saw it. I don't have a scanner but do a quick google or e-bay search. He had a unique style that is now often imitated. Some of his most famous works are used in public service messages for planned parenthood and aids prevention.

Just something else to consider.

The case may look like it is intact and sealed but may not be.

It may allow air and contaminates to enter and effect the coins.

You might get some toning on the coins that is not desirable or possibly harmful.

If I left them in their present case I would just keep an eye on them.

By the, congratulations on the purchase. Ya' did good.

-------------

etexmike

April 22 CDN Greysheet for '99 Silver Proof Set........Bid $275, Ask $285

April 4 CW Coin Values lists the following for the individual coins in PF69DC:

1c - $25

5c - $20

10c - $24; PF70DC - $500

25c:

DE - $31

PA - $38

NJ - $31

GA - $31

CT - $31

50c - $50; PF70DC - $130

The sum total of the values from CV (taken with a grain of salt) is just about the current Greysheet "Bid" for an undamaged set. However, if you think you might have a 70DC for either the dime or half, it might be worthwhile to crack the set and have them graded.

NGC Census of January, 2005 lists the following:

10c: PF70CA - 3; PF70UC - 90 (out of 1177 submitted)

50c: PF70CA - 48; PF70UC - 0 (out of 1495 submitted)

Just food for thought!

Chris

It should affect the value of the set more than a couple of dollars.

You can replace the case of this set with ones from another year. Too bad you didn't post this earlier, just last weekend I threw out a bunch of the cases after I took out the coins to submit.

I once found myself in a similar situation. Thr guy had one of those top registry collections but he sent me a proof set that contained a 1971 no S nickel. Upon it's arrival, I immediately took notice how the case had been cleverly cracked all around the outside. Can you guess how long it took me to send that back? In minutes!

Leo

I once found myself in a similar situation. Thr guy had one of those top registry collections but he sent me a proof set that contained a 1971 no S nickel. Upon it's arrival, I immediately took notice how the case had been cleverly cracked all around the outside. Can you guess how long it took me to send that back? In minutes!

Leo

??? Leo, I don't get what you're saying. You had a proof '71 no S nickel and you sent it back?

And, like Greg said, just swap out cases. They are not sealed which makes the process simple.

Great rip, BTW!

Thanks everybody. A forumite has offered to send me a case to switch this one for.

I'd thank him publicly but since he made the offer in PM mode,I'm not sure he wants to be id'd.

I have no idea if they would grade a 69 or a 70. I'll switch cases and let the next buyer worry about it.