• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

US coin trivia time!

18 posts in this topic

The prize, the only prize, is one pat on the back which you'll have to administer to yourself if and only if you get the correct response.

Identify this coin:

It was authorized on June 28, 1902. 250,000 were authorized, but most were melted. There are two types. And there are 50 proofs of each type. And it is a coin that might receive extra attention in the next year or so due to recent Congressional approval.

Well, since you made me look up the commem section of my redbook, I'll post a follow up, what was the largest commemorative coin ever produced (we are talking size, not dollar value, though the answer could be both), and this can be either modern or classic?

Yep! The Louisiana Purchase Expo gold dollars.

The designer of both was Charles Barber and 250,000 were authorized; 250,258 were minted but 215,250 of those were melted. They were also the nation's first commemorative gold coins.

I would think the largest american commemorative coin would be the pan-pac $50 gold. But if we are talking world-wide, I remember seeing a very large commem on ebay once. If I remember right, it was around 6" in diameter. I think it was like 1 troy pound of precious metal or even larger. It's been a long time since I've seen it. I think it was issued by one of the smaller British-connected countries.

So far as I know, the Pan Pac $50s are the largest commems, produced for the US. Here's another, what denominations of US coins have never been used for a commem?

Well, all the denominations up to and including the dime. Unless you consider the roosevelt a commemorative since it was for the "march of dimes" in a sense. Same with the lincoln cent (a commemoration of lincoln). The 20 center, $3, $4, $20. I'm only considering denominations that have circulated at one time or another. Not the fake kind like the GAE denoms. Of course, if the 5 cent coin does indeed get changed this year, then it changes the list.

I am kinda on the fence on the memorial cent, but clearly, the 2,3,5,and 10-cent coins haven't made it, nor have the $3, $4 and $20 gold. Here's another one for you, what is the largest denomination of coin ever contemplated by the US mint?

Excellent question. I'm not really sure. After looking around, the largest I've seen referenced is $100. Of course, that was for the bimetallic coin.

rgv got it! Imagine a roll of coins each weighing 5 ounces! There were actually at least one union and half union patterns minted in gold and they were the topic of discussion here a couple weeks ago. Those are now at the Smithsonian I believe.