• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

$500 coin and $275 coin...Which is which?

20 posts in this topic

There has been a lot written about the PCGS markup (or NGC mark-down if you like)...I was just wondering which of the attached coins is selling for $500 and which is selling for $275? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

These coins are being offered by the same dealer so that eliminates the issue of one dealer vs. another on profit margin.

Thanks,

Mike

Sorry...They are both MS65FBL coins.

791100-Question.jpg.6bef15e0c53b27a6090e6111f7fb435c.jpg

Are they graded the same? If so, I would not be surprised to see the NGC coin selling for more if they are FBL as NGC is stricter on this designation.

Hard to say.

The obverse of the right one looks better, but I think the reverse of the left one might be a little better. I don't like the look of either that much. They both need a dip.

From the pictures it is hard to tell, but I think the bell lines are better on the right one, so I'd go with that one for being the NGC graded one. However, that's just a guess off pictures.

I'm going to disagree with everyone. The one on the right is the $500. The detail on the eagle is sharper and there appear to be some marks on the support bracket on the left one. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Chris

I'm not fond of either, but like the one on the right best. It's obverse is much more a ttractive than the coin on the left. As for bell lines, I can't tell, but given NGC's stricter definition (as Greg mentioned), I would think it'd be more attractive to the astute collector. But there's so much slab bias that I'd bet the PCGS coin goes for more. Have no idea which of these two coins is in the PCGS or NGC holder.

Hoot

It appears that the coin on the right has a few less luster breaks and (perhaps) better defined bell lines, but truthfully I can not see $225.00 difference between them from the pics. As others have said, NGC is fussier about FBL but PCGS usually gets higher prices. The 1960-D is a more difficult date to obtain in MS65FBL.

It is absolutely normal for PCGS MS65FBL examples of this issue to be priced around $500, while the NGC MS65FBL's are unfairly pirced at around $250 or so. It happens all the time. You will see it at Heritage, at David Lawrence, etc. And this is only one issue; this happens across the board with PCGS vs NGC. Look at MS67 Washington Quarters! It's all non-sense, so buy the coin, not the holder. That's all there is to it!

The PCGS registry causes this way out of reason prices on PCGS over NGC holders. I just buy the NGC coins and not worry about it. I can't see the difference in the price values myself.

Actually I don't care for either one of these coins. They are both overpriced. They get a plus for being updipped and original, but their originality is not attractive. It's just the usual tarnish that forms on an older coin that didn't happen to take on great color.

Actually I don't care for either one of these coins. They are both overpriced. They get a plus for being updipped and original, but their originality is not attractive. It's just the usual tarnish that forms on an older coin that didn't happen to take on great color.

'zactly!

Both are unattractive $5.00 coins to me...

I guess I don't understand the value of Frankie's. I couldn't see myself spending $250 on either or both. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif I suppose this is a topic for another book I need to read. confused-smiley-013.gif

Mel: A lot of Franklins, Washingtons and Roosies sat in Mint Set (Cellophane) wrappers for years and acquired either off-white or light grey (sometimes mottled) toning. While coins in albums many times colored up nicely, most of these did not. They are legitimately graded but many collectors do not like their apparent lack of mint luster. Many collectors dip these coins in dilute water/acid to bring up their mint luster.

NGC has only graded (48) MS65FBL, 1960-D Franklins with only (1) higher, hence the price.

So much for the premium on and superiority of grading for PCGS coins! For the $225. difference, I would buy the NGC all day long.