• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fr. 1374 grade?

17 posts in this topic

Welcome to the forums. I think you'll get more help Here

I am not really looking for "help" at all.

As the title to this area suggests I am asking if anyone could take a stab at guessing what PMG graded this fractional.

Mark can you grade paper money?

Guess the grade

Dam I just noticed how many posts you have. You must have spent at least the last five years or more glued to your computer YIKES

Welcome to the forums. I think you'll get more help Here

I am not really looking for "help" at all.

As the title to this area suggests I am asking if anyone could take a stab at guessing what PMG graded this fractional.

Mark can you grade paper money?

Guess the grade

Dam I just noticed how many posts you have. You must have spent at least the last five years or more glued to your computer YIKES

Sorry, I know coins, but not notes. And I thought/think there are far more posters who are knowledgeable about notes on the forum I linked than there are here.

I am far from a paper money expert, especially when it comes to grading. The one thing I can say is if grading coins from photos is imprecise, grading paper money is even worst.

Paper money grades are highly dependent upon folds, creases, pinholes and centering. About the only thing you do with photo is look at the centering, and even that can get tough if the photo has had some cropping games played with it.

A VF grade note can be bright and attractive, and if it's been flattened out, the folds are not that evident which are responsible for the grade.

Here is the Lincoln 50 note that is in my type set. It has a fold that runs under Lincoln's neck. You can see it on the front, but it's not so obvious on the back. The dealer called this note "Unc." when I bought it. It's really an AU, I think. Like I said I'm not an expert in this area.

Frac%204th%2050%20Lincoln%20F_zpstk4gcfqp.jpgFrac%204th%2050%20Lincoln%20B_zpsv5bmuufy.jpg

Bill its already need graded. I did write that it was graded uncirculated and epq. I was asking if anyone can guess the numeral grade.

That is even harder. It looks like a Gem quality note, but as is the case with a very high grade coin, setting the grade at MS-67, 68 or 69 is pure guess work with pictures.

Too many factors come into play. By definition those grades mean that there are virtually no marks or defects. The answer comes down to the quality of the strike and type of surface mellowing due to age. Those factors are very subtle and can only be determined accurately by a personal examination.

Bill its already need graded. I did write that it was graded uncirculated and epq. I was asking if anyone can guess the numeral grade.

That is even harder. It looks like a Gem quality note, but as is the case with a very high grade coin, setting the grade at MS-67, 68 or 69 is pure guess work with pictures.

Too many factors come into play. By definition those grades mean that there are virtually no marks or defects. The answer comes down to the quality of the strike and type of surface mellowing due to age. Those factors are very subtle and can only be determined accurately by a personal examination.

Okay Bill,

Since that's the way you feel why do you bother coming to this part of the forum?

Nobody is asking you to be 100% accurate I don't think. Its for the FUN of it.

I have spent more time with you on this than anyone else has. If that the way you want to treat me after giving you my time, I will ignore your requests for grades in the future.

Okay Bill,

Since that's the way you feel why do you bother coming to this part of the forum?

Nobody is asking you to be 100% accurate I don't think. Its for the FUN of it.

Why are you being so rude sir? Bill is guessing on the grade and adding more info to the discussion as necessary.

I think this is a case of internet misunderstanding. I am a straight shooter. Not being rude at all. If I were spouting out rude comments I could understand. I honestly came to this part of these forums looking for a legit response to my initial question. Instead I was directed to the most dormant area of these forums. Its dead on the paper money side. This is an active area and honestly I still have had anyone guess the grade. Its very simple to see depending on how you look at things.

I think this is a case of internet misunderstanding. I am a straight shooter. Not being rude at all. If I were spouting out rude comments I could understand. I honestly came to this part of these forums looking for a legit response to my initial question. Instead I was directed to the most dormant area of these forums. Its dead on the paper money side. This is an active area and honestly I still have had anyone guess the grade. Its very simple to see depending on how you look at things.

I'm the one who was apparently guilty of directing you to "the most dormant area of these forums". I was trying to help you, knowing that this forum is frequented primarily by coin (not currency) people. So now, you can also count me among those who think you are rude.

I see that thus far, you've gotten nowhere here, regarding your currency. Perhaps you would have fared better, even on "the most dormant area of these forums".

I think directing the OP somewhere else when he is posting in the correct area is rude.

I'm guessing 65 EPQ but I'm a bit of a novice with paper currency.

A new forum member posted a piece of currency here - a forum where the large majority of the participants are coin collectors.

So, first, I welcomed him to the forum.

Then, thinking that he was more likely to receive helpful feedback on the currency forum (and that as a new poster, he might not be familiar with it) I directed him there.

And you think that was rude.

I hope there are many other posters here who qualify under your definition of "rude".