• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your 'red' coppers might not be red

9 posts in this topic

Did you know NGC reviews reholder submissions before granting reholder. I recently had a lovely cameo Lincoln turned down for reholder because it was not deemed red. This coin was graded in 2004 as Pf 67 RD Cameo. I argued that the coin was red in 2004 and was still red. Because color is only guaranteed for 10 years I can understand why they are cautious especially given how rare this coin is in full red. They still wouldn't budge and I'll have to say they did handle this ethically and professionally. So I accepted this as 67 RB Cameo none the less. My coin now shows beautifully in the new holder; although worth much less, it's still among a few others at the top. I've owned a few others and have seen a few of the registry coins. Many in 'red' cameo holders certainly are no longer full red. So beware of auction coins in older holders. They may not reholder.

Yes, whenever you have a reholder done, they review the grade and designations for accuracy. This is well known, and is spelled out in the fine print.

Sucks yours wasn't covered under the guarantee. Did you notice that the color had started to mellow when you submitted it?

Can you show us pictures?

Color really hasn't mellowed. I think it just looks slightly gold but fully original. This one is a keeper which is why I let them reholder RB. Still don't have images but am working in that direction. Will need that tutorial on uploading when I get ready. Why so tricky to attach images ?

"Red copper" long term is a bad investment and collector's choice in my opinion. Nearly all copper eventually mellows, and if you have something like a large cent designated "red" then a huge proportion of the cost is wrapped up in the color of a highly reactive metal. Worst case scenario, it doesn't "mellow" evenly over time and you end up with a really unappealing ugly blotchy or spotty coin.

I always prefer even colored BN (brown) or RB (red-brown) copper. Been burned a couple times early on collecting Red copper...

"Red copper" long term is a bad investment and collector's choice in my opinion. Nearly all copper eventually mellows, and if you have something like a large cent designated "red" then a huge proportion of the cost is wrapped up in the color of a highly reactive metal. Worst case scenario, it doesn't "mellow" evenly over time and you end up with a really unappealing ugly blotchy or spotty coin.

I always prefer even colored BN (brown) or RB (red-brown) copper. Been burned a couple times early on collecting Red copper...

+1 never buy RD copper for long term holding unless you have the right kind of environment to put it in.......

Best, HT

The reason they refuse to do this is that the 10 year copper color guarantee that you mention is based on the date of encapsulation. When the coin is reholdered, the clock restarts on the guarantee. I asked NGC and had this confirmed for me.

This is why I avoid buying red copper. The color is unstable, if you buy red copper in a holder your guarantee amounts to nothing. I buy red copper only when it is designated for cheap coins or Proof coins from the 30s, 40s or 50's that are obviously original and stable in the holder.

Red copper large cents and half cents are bad buys. I've seem too many of them change color after from a few weeks to a few years in the holder. Most of them have been "processed" to make them red.

My coin is not extremely rare as are full red large cents. However this one happens to be near the top for proof 1951 cameo Lincoln cents. This one has real nice mirrors that I'm hoping will not end up with mottled tone. It is the only Pf 67 RB yet graded but I know there are more; they are just still in holders marked red.

The chances are quite good that a 1951 Proof cent could have original red. Despite the complains about the celluloid sleeves that were used to house the Proof sets of the era, if the stuff is intact, the cent often has red color.

Most of the mint issued Proof coin packages that were used for the 1950 to 1964 era, except for the 1954 and '55 box sets that were in the cloudy plastic sleeves, were often well preserved. About half of the 1954 sets and all of the 1955 box sets often have preservation issues.