• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best auction for high value British coins

9 posts in this topic

Seems that the American market is the best place to sell at the moment due to the low value of the UK Pound. I wondered if anyone located in the UK has had experience in dealing with US auctions and what their experiences are and possibly the best to deal with. (advice also welcome from those located in the US). thanks :)

The go-to for high profile US auctions is usually Heritage.

You could also look at the auctions that will be held surrounding the New York International in January (NYINC). There will be several auctions there (including Heritage), and you can take your pick of which company you like best. The show is exclusively foreign coinage, and if you have a good collection NYINC is probably the place to sell.

I'm a collector of UK coins though living in the USA. I primarily use Heritage in the US when buying coins and have found them very easy to deal with. However, if your coins are not already graded and slabbed then you need to do that as the US market generally demands certified coins.

There are also some dealers who may be interested in buying high value coins. While they will not pay you retail, when you take into account sellers premium and auction risk then that can be a n alternative to sending coins to auction.

However, if your coins are not already graded and slabbed then you need to do that as the US market generally demands certified coins.

Several of the major auction houses can assist you with this. For example, Heritage will send things to NGC for you if you want, if you work with them.

I understand that the Winter FUN show is the best location for Non US coins to be marketed. Accordingly, whichever auction is represented there should be strongly considered.

I would have thought that the NY International or Chicago International Coin Fair would be better. Heritage has be doing the auctio at the Chicago show, I don't remember who does the NY show.) The NY show is typically the same week as the Fun show.

I would have thought that the NY International or Chicago International Coin Fair would be better. Heritage has be doing the auctio at the Chicago show, I don't remember who does the NY show.) The NY show is typically the same week as the Fun show.

I know Heritage does a NYINC auction.

Heritage is doing the FUN auction.

Heritage, Stack's-Bowers and Goldbergs are top auction firms in the US that handle non-US coins and medals with care and knowledge.