• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1776 Continental "Dollar" Possibly Real or Obvious Fake?

10 posts in this topic

My father died back in August and this was discovered in his safety deposit box. I've done some research and was wondering if anyone can tell whether this is possibly real or an obvious reproduction? I don't want to invest in any sort of professional evaluation if it's an obvious fake. Thanks.

14469661_10153962361958030_8814644290039493306_n.jpg?oh=0f5bf06410e53fea4c1b6fb83b4ea158&oe=5872FE9C

14441051_10153962361963030_2228143009073130547_n.jpg?oh=bc0bd198fd4bc2fe08e9d4d3998935ee&oe=58A6DC01

Welcome to the forum! It probably is a reproduction, but I'd get this piece verified by someone else who is also knowledgeable in numismatics who can view the coin in hand.

Do a google search for coin shops in your area, coin shows, and coin clubs. This will give you exposure to collectors who may verify any online opinions, and also answer other questions you may have about coins.

Who knows, you may find a hobby that's worth pursuing, and perhaps that Continental dollar can spark an interest in you that your Father left behind.

Thanks for sharing, and good luck!

Welcome to the forum! It probably is a reproduction, but I'd get this piece verified by someone else who is also knowledgeable in numismatics who can view the coin in hand.

Do a google search for coin shops in your area, coin shows, and coin clubs. This will give you exposure to collectors who may verify any online opinions, and also answer other questions you may have about coins.

Who knows, you may find a hobby that's worth pursuing, and perhaps that Continental dollar can spark an interest in you that your Father left behind.

Thanks for sharing, and good luck!

Exposure to other collectors, shows, etc., is a good goal. But in the case of the (reproduction) coin which was posted, there is no need to have it "verified".

Yea, that's too bad. I've seen many, many replicas over the past 40 or so years, but this one is rather blatant. It's a casting from a two piece mold. Looking at the edge, you will see a seam.

Sorry to hear about your dad.

Paul