• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tidy House coin with a serious mismatch

8 posts in this topic

So, I was trawling around Ebay, as I often do, and came across this posting: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1926-Tidy-House-Colorful-Toned-Uncertified-Peace-Dollar-/381780697664?hash=item58e3e72240:g:FxEAAOSwmLlX4YC0

The coin in the holder is a 1926 Peace dollar.... but the holder describes a New Orleans mint Morgan (1904 or earlier).

Has anyone seen something like this before? Did Tidy House just not know what they were talking about and put any old dollar in there? Or is this a substitution?

More importantly - the dollar in the holder appears to be attractively toned. Is this consistent with Tidy House holders? Were Tidy Houses issued with Peace dollars (I mostly recall Morgans, but maybe someone has seen Peaces in these holders)? Or is this an AT piece that has been put in the holder to give it the appearance of legitimacy?

To be clear - I am not implicating the seller here. He is a well known seller of toned coinage, and has a good reputation (and is a member here). Any fishiness would be on the part of his consigner, or further upstream.

Never heard of a Tidy House having a peace in it

As for the toning, it looks righteous to me And tidy house holders typically impart blues and purples. One of my tidy house Morgan's actually has a purple reverse VERY similar to that peace reverse. I'm tempted to play on this one but yeah I've never seen or heard about a peace being in a tidy house. Maybe they did put the errant peace in them or Maybe someone slabbed the original morgan years ago and replaced it with a peace

Never heard of a Tidy House having a peace in it

As for the toning, it looks righteous to me And tidy house holders typically impart blues and purples. One of my tidy house Morgan's actually has a purple reverse VERY similar to that peace reverse. I'm tempted to play on this one but yeah I've never seen or heard about a peace being in a tidy house.

I have seen a few toned Peace Dollars in Tidy House holders throughout the years.

Edited: But none of them I have seen referenced a Morgan. It looks like someone swapped out the original coin.

I've seen this auction, and had the same reservations.

The pictures are not good enough to confirm 100% if the toning is AT/NT, but I'm leaning NT.

The pictures are not even close to being good enough to determine if the coin has been cleaned.

I have only seen Morgans and 1964 Kennedys in Tidy House holders

mostly New Orleans, but do not remember many saying it was from New Orleans in the text

I would pass, just because I suspect a possible switch, and NGC would probably call it ART TONED