• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1943 bronze cents

5 posts in this topic

Among several ways to authenticate a1943 bronze cent is by alloy. Beginning in May 1941, all U.S. Mints began using only a tract of tin in their cent alloy. Thus a genuine 1943 bronze cent from any mint almost certainly will have an alloy of about 95% copper, 4+% zinc, and 1-% tin. There is no exact tin percentage - HQ instructions were "enough to detect" so that the coins complied with law.

This came to mind while looking at a "1943-S copper" cent post ATS...or STA...or....?

When I had a shop, I used to dream about a hand-held x-ray spectrometer. But their price, at the South side of 5 figures, always discouraged me. There just wasn't enough 'mystery scrap' to justify that. What a fun item though......

Paul

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

The elimination of tin altogether was authorized early in 1942, though the existing stock of planchets lasted for a few months. 1943 bronze cents should have none at all, at least in theory.

Tin was maintained as "enough to detect" throughout the war years, then increased slightly in 1949 and 1950, depending on mint. Some 1941-1945 assays showed tin and others did not. The point is that if a 1943 bronze cent has more than a trace of tin, it is more likely to be a false coin.