• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Seated Dollar Market

46 posts in this topic

How strong or weak is the market?

I am trying to sell a few nicer pieces and found the market dead as a beached whale. When I sold my half dime and Dahlonega gold I had tons of interest.

I brought this up with a friend selling 2 nice Seated Dimes and he said same thing: shockingly little interest.

Is it maybe just the Seated Series in general is a bit weak?

I don't think that Seated coins, as a whole, are weaker than most other areas of the market.

And, as is almost always the case, prices are based on the individual attributes of a given coin, rather than its series or the market, in general..

Back in my show days, I found these almost impossible to buy. In the pre-plastic era, circulated examples were ALWAYS overgraded by the seller by at least one grade. I could never touch them.

Paul

When I was a dealer I was able to buy and sell some original surface, darkly toned examples in EF from the mid 1840s for the published Gray Sheet prices. The later dates seemed to be harder and were often cleaned. The really nice desirable ones have never been cheap relative to the published market prices. Many pieces, especially the "With Motto" type, have a layer of artificial toning.

But since I retired, I've been out of the market for over five years.

As with any coin of value, the bottom line remains in the numbers: (How many were minted). Speaking on the grading services, there is no difference in format relative to grading. We believe that NGC uses two people to grade a coin as may be commonplace with other grading services.

However, to sell a coin of value there must be somewhat of a limited supply to realize a return or be considered a point of interest. For example: If there are 100,000 of any coin minted in total; there must be a limited supply at a certain grade, (MS-70). If there exists 75,000 in MS-70 'certified', there really is no point in purchasing. Contingent upon that principle, there may be a fewer supply graded in lower numbers > AU - BU. We would not recognize a lower grade coin as having any significance of value, other than to add to one's collection.

There are many intrigued with the idea in coins being an asset down the road, or increasing in value. That principle was valid for many years and still might be relevant in certain situations, but the intrinsic value of any coin still must be adjoined with the total mintage.

Many have left the numismatic field for a variety of reasons. One in particular was when the 2011 Silver Eagle Set was offered in limited numbers (100,000). There were coin collectors which honored the U.S. Mint for many years in purchasing yearly. A great many were angered when not any received a set, as the online purchasing process was very difficult. This is just one facet of the many. To continue down this road may anger some, if not the lot.

We collect mainly as a hobby, and to pass along what we collected. For any to believe that this business is an easy process, 'They are totally wrong'. We were friends with Bev Rosen; namely my brother, who owned the Rosen Collection which recently left this world. The collection consisted of more than coins which not many know. She really did not place much interest in the collection, and only viewed it as just another asset.

One must remember also that the players are dwindling whereby this generation really takes not interest in numismatics. This is the specific reason as to why the U.S. Mint has enabled programs to gather the interest of the young. How well they are performing is unknown to us for we have not researched that area. In the Silver Eagle program for instance, there really are not more than 250,000 interested. The sales are derived in bulk purchases by the dealers. If they spend $5000.00, we believe they receive a 5% discount. This would account for the numbers. We hope we have provided some insight for you.

As with any coin of value, the bottom line remains in the numbers: (How many were minted). Speaking on the grading services, there is no difference in format relative to grading. We believe that NGC uses two people to grade a coin as may be commonplace with other grading services.

However, to sell a coin of value there must be somewhat of a limited supply to realize a return or be considered a point of interest. For example: If there are 100,000 of any coin minted in total; there must be a limited supply at a certain grade, (MS-70). If there exists 75,000 in MS-70 'certified', there really is no point in purchasing. Contingent upon that principle, there may be a fewer supply graded in lower numbers > AU - BU. We would not recognize a lower grade coin as having any significance of value, other than to add to one's collection.

There are many intrigued with the idea in coins being an asset down the road, or increasing in value. That principle was valid for many years and still might be relevant in certain situations, but the intrinsic value of any coin still must be adjoined with the total mintage.

Many have left the numismatic field for a variety of reasons. One in particular was when the 2011 Silver Eagle Set was offered in limited numbers (100,000). There were coin collectors which honored the U.S. Mint for many years in purchasing yearly. A great many were angered when not any received a set, as the online purchasing process was very difficult. This is just one facet of the many. To continue down this road may anger some, if not the lot.

We collect mainly as a hobby, and to pass along what we collected. For any to believe that this business is an easy process, 'They are totally wrong'. We were friends with Bev Rosen; namely my brother, who owned the Rosen Collection which recently left this world. The collection consisted of more than coins which not many know. She really did not place much interest in the collection, and only viewed it as just another asset.

One must remember also that the players are dwindling whereby this generation really takes not interest in numismatics. This is the specific reason as to why the U.S. Mint has enabled programs to gather the interest of the young. How well they are performing is unknown to us for we have not researched that area. In the Silver Eagle program for instance, there really are not more than 250,000 interested. The sales are derived in bulk purchases by the dealers. if they spend $5000.00, we believe they receive a 5% discount. This would account for the numbers. We hope we have provided some insight for you.

With respect to just the first paragraph of your post:

1) Typically, the number of coins minted isn't nearly as important as the number that survive.

2) The major grading companies often/usually have three (not two) graders assess the coins.

3) The major grading companies don't necessarily grade to the same standard.

A guess at the problem of seated dollars is that there are not enough of them to stimulate development of a collector base. They seem to be treated as only type coins. Even century-old collections tended to skip over seated dollars - many had long proof runs, but little else in the series.

There has to be something to capture the attention and interest of enough collectors to make a series viable from a collecting standpoint. The other seated denominations have large populations of coins over many dates and mints - enough to keep collectors busy looking for specific coins. Seated dollars are the opposite.

I haven't been following the Seated Dollar series specifically, but the coins from the other denominations for the series have dropped in value. It seems that type coinage generally, but especially Barber and Seated coinage, has taken a hit.

I don't think that Seated coins, as a whole, are weaker than most other areas of the market.

It seems that the market overall is fairly weak right now. The exceptions seem to me to be bust coinage and some rare date gold.

One must remember also that the players are dwindling whereby this generation really takes not interest in numismatics. This is the specific reason as to why the U.S. Mint has enabled programs to gather the interest of the young. How well they are performing is unknown to us for we have not researched that area. In the Silver Eagle program for instance, there really are not more than 250,000 interested. The sales are derived in bulk purchases by the dealers. if they spend $5000.00, we believe they receive a 5% discount. This would account for the numbers. We hope we have provided some insight for you.

1) Typically, the number of coins minted isn't nearly as important as the number that survive.

2) The major grading companies often/usually have three (not two) graders assess the coins.

Was it really necessary to paraphrase our synopsis?

A 1.- Granted on that aspect but we were referring to mainly proofs, and burnished which was not specifically mentioned. Irrespective of that, the same principle applies, "If there are 100,000 MS-70's, what is the point in collecting? You are referring to general coinage which is released into the millions. What applied yesteryear is not applicable today. Meaning, there really is no benefit in collecting anything produced in the millions.

A 2. - Whether the grading companies have two, three or more grading, a 5 X is still used as a standard.magnification. We cannot comprehend the use of more than one other than to avoid any bias or 'impropriety'. If we detail our thoughts here, we may be banished forever.

A 3- The most intriguing lever you make mention. Will not go down that road for we shall certainly receive backlash.

Thank you very much. You do present a partial valid argument, only to be intertwined with much controversy.

I don't feel that I paraphrased it. But rather, pointed out what I believed to be some ambiguities, if not inaccuracies.

Mark's comments seem entirely on-point; and for #1 survival is important for circulation strikes and proofs, not mintage.

I don't feel that I paraphrased it. But rather, pointed out what I believed to be some ambiguities, if not inaccuracies.

Instead of moving into a quandary, let us leave the subject as is.

* My apologies, I believe you 'quoted' the post which allowed the initial post to be present, otherwise believed to be copied. None are perfect, sorry my fault here.

No problem. A lot of posters copy/quote the post(s) to which they're responding. Failure to do so can result in confusion regarding to whom comments are being directed.

No problem. A lot of posters copy/quote the post(s) to which they're responding. Failure to do so can result in confusion regarding to whom comments are being directed.

Surely, I didn't believe you were like that. A little hasty on my part to jump to conclusions.

Jumping to conclusions often ends with being stuck in a quandary..... ;) Kind of like quicksand but with rubber ducks.

(This happens in both singular and plural first person subjective unless the plural person is actually a singular person and not confused with a cosmic singularity... but that depends on agreement between all three persons even if they are a single person.....Uhmmm..yes...ok... That takes us back to dissociative identity disorder.)

For the past year and half, I have had coins for sale on eBay from one to ten coins of Morgans, Peace Dollars or Buffalo Nickels. I noticed at the start of summer that my coins were not selling unless I was willing to sell below market. I seen posts from dealers that it was the typical summer slow down in the coin market. I do not have enough history or coin selling volume to note a trend in the market.

I have continued to buy coins during the same period, but I have not noticed any major reduction in coin pricing. Part of my incentive for buying coins on eBay has been better offers for earning Ebay Bucks when buying a coin or other eBay goods. A couple weeks ago for the first time from eBay I received an offer to earn eBay Bucks for both selling and buying.

RWB touched on one of the major reason there isn't a lot of action in the Seated Dollar market, there just aren't that many people that collect the series. If you don't have deep pockets you will have a real problem collecting seated dollars.

The coin ran for 33 years with four mints and the total mintage for the whole series was only about 6 million coin. 2.1 million of those were consumed in just two issues 1871 and 1872. Another 2.5 million were consumed by 1859, 59 O, 60, 60 O, 69, 70, AND 1873. That leaves just 1.4 million coins spread among the other 36 date and mint combinations. Other than the nine date/mints I mentioned none of these are really common coins. The series has one "impossible" coin, the 70 S, and several nearly impossible ones, especially for collectors of average means. So most average collectors just satisfy themselves with two type pieces, and usually from the 9 "common" date/mints.

So if you have nicer pieces of some of those tougher dates they can still be difficult to move because there just isn't anyone collecting them. The seated dollar is a beautiful coin, but it is just too scarce for it's own good. If the mintages had been higher there would be a lot more interest in them.

Synoptic's post on the market was one of the weirdest I have seen in a long time.

Look to waters out of your own well.

Synoptic.... I feel like we have gotten off to the wrong foot. (And by "we" I mean you, me, and the rest of the forum). I feel like "we" don't really understand each other. You keep posting these strong opinions, but they often disagree with the collective knowledge of the board (and the language/culture of the forums is sometimes at odds with your own). You also seem to be rubbing many of our most respected, experienced, and knowledgeable members the wrong way (Mark Feld, for example, is widely known and highly respected in our community). I don't often recommend this, but for you I think it may be important:

Why don't you post a bit and tell us about yourself: Where are you from? What do you collect? How long have you been in the hobby? What is your experience level?

"We" seem to be getting into a series of disagreements and misunderstandings.... but we may be able to mitigate this if we know a bit more about where you are coming from.

Synoptic's post on the market was one of the weirdest I have seen in a long time.

Synoptic.... I feel like we have gotten off to the wrong foot. (And by "we" I mean you, me, and the rest of the forum). I feel like "we" don't really understand each other. You keep posting these strong opinions, but they often disagree with the collective knowledge of the board (and the language/culture of the forums is sometimes at odds with your own). You also seem to be rubbing many of our most respected, experienced, and knowledgeable members the wrong way (Mark Feld, for example, is widely known and highly respected in our community). I don't often recommend this, but for you I think it may be important:

Why don't you post a bit and tell us about yourself: Where are you from? What do you collect? How long have you been in the hobby? What is your experience level?

"We" seem to be getting into a series of disagreements and misunderstandings.... but we may be able to mitigate this if we know a bit more about where you are coming from.

You look for the speck in my eye but you have a log in your own eye.

He was trying to understand you better and help make your stay here more amicable.

Yeah, see, this is exactly what I mean. I'm trying to help you integrate into the community, learn a bit about you, and make peace.... and you give me this. I'm not looking for any specks.... I just asked you to describe yourself and your numismatic history/experience.

We don't understand each other. (And when I say "we", I mean both that I don't understand you, and that the community as a whole doesn't understand you.) Help me understand you (and feel free to ask me/us any questions you want).

I'm not at the "get frustrated and write you off" phase yet.... but you aren't making this easy, either.

Yeah, see, this is exactly what I mean. I'm trying to help you integrate into the community, learn a bit about you, and make peace.... and you give me this. I'm not looking for any specks.... I just asked you to describe yourself and your numismatic history/experience.

We don't understand each other. (And when I say "we", I mean both that I don't understand you, and that the community as a whole doesn't understand you.) Help me understand you (and feel free to ask me/us any questions you want).

I'm not at the "get frustrated and write you off" phase yet.... but you aren't making this easy, either.

Are you posing a threat here?

He was trying to understand you better and help make your stay here more amicable.

Mark, don't really seek any input from any acting in a highminded manner. He should look into his soul before passing judgment upon others.

I'm really not sure how you got a threat out of this? I am asking about you, and I am getting frustrated by your non-responses and mis-interpretations. If you help us understand yourself, we can avoid this frustration.

There is nothing threatening about his posts. He was reaching out to you, and you appear to be unable or unwilling to accept that reality.