• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Questions on 2 coins - 2 Continents

7 posts in this topic

I have an Austrian 1780SF Thaler, KM#T1. I don't have the 18th Century book but it is listed on p.77 of the 19th Century book as "Trade Coinage - Restrikes". When was the original coin first struck? Krause notes that restrikes continue from 1853 to present. Is there any way of determining when my coin was struck?

Also, I have a Mexican 1997 2 Peso, KM#604(?). On p.1344, Krause lists 1996, 1998, 2001 & 2002, but not 1997. Is this just a printing error? Maybe I'm blind, but I have scoured the Mexico pages and can't find it. Does anyone have info on the '97 2 Peso?

Thanks,

Chris

I have a Mexican 1997 2 Peso, KM#604(?).
The 2005 32d Ed. has the same listings for KM#604, but also lists KM#618, a silver 2 Peso with a 1997 mintage of 3,000 business strikes and 1,600 proofs, listed at $8 for BU. With a half-ounce ASW, the bullion value is a little over $3.50. It's about 35mm, and weighs 15.5517g.

If your coin is a stainless steel ring around an aluminum-bronze center, and a 14mm diameter, it may well be missing from Krause as one more in a long list of errors in every edition since the 893censored-thumb.gif 30th!

BTW there is a website with a complete guide to Maria Theresa thaler restrike identification, but I seem to have mislaid it in my bookmarks. Maybe JamminJ, or one of the other regulars can provide it for you.

Roy, the 2 Peso has the stainless steel ring, but I'd still like to know why it has been omitted/deleted from the book.

Brad, thanks for the link to the MTT. It is much, much more than I had expected to get and very interesting. I failed to mention in my original post that I'm more concerned about its history than value. I think it is a pretty coin, and you have just given me a wealth of information about it.

Thanks, Roy!

Thanks, Brad!

Chris

PS. FYI, the MTT didn't cost me anything. It was part of a garage sale hoard that I mentioned buying a few weeks ago for $50. One of the other "finds" from the several thousand coins in that hoard was a Mexico 1916 centavo. It could be worth 3-4x my original purchase price and it is in the hands of NCS/NGC right now.

The 30th edition of the Standard Catalog of World Coins was supposed to be revamped by transcribing the catalogs information over to a new digital publishing process. Between extreme penny pinching, the many bugs in the process, the tiny staff assigned to the project and the fact that most of the staff evidently knew nothing of coins (or publishing) the 2003 30th edition proved to be a disaster that was released with more flaws than all 29 previous editions combined. Later editions are still in the process of being repaired but the innumerable flaws may persist in many editions yet to come.

Despite all those problems, at least they got the picture software to work so the obverse covers 75% of the reverse for many coins, making identifying the varieties near impossible. mad.gif

Despite all those problems, at least they got the picture software to work so the obverse covers 75% of the reverse for many coins, making identifying the varieties near impossible. mad.gif

Greg, you're supposed to make a tiny incision along the perimeter and peek underneath.

Do you mean the pictures that aren't overexposed and washed out?

Personally, I like it when they tell you that varieties exist but they don't show or tell you why.

Chris