• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2016-D Roosevelt DDR- Confirmed! WDDR-001, WDDR-002, WDDR-003A, WDDR-003B

49 posts in this topic

It appears as if the bands have contour and not flat like a shelf that's found with machine doubling. I tried to capture a few more photo's- one is an edge view, and the other two I took with my loop attached to phone for closer pics, and moved a bit in attempt to pick up the contour of the bands.

165261.jpg.03a57044dac20343bd265e6d29feaf6b.jpg

165262.jpg.e57025f6c41f407f5d3f18b184da753e.jpg

165263.jpg.86b8f389dedf71b4af0cace333b02215.jpg

Just received email from Mr. Wexler confirming that the 2016-D Roosevelt is a DDR! It will be included on John Wexlers, "Wexlers Coins and Varieties" website, and also in his Varieties Notebook column in Coin World scheduled for December, 19 2016.

2016-D WDDR-001

I hope others find a few!!!

Thanks,

Rich

Thanks for kudos, I'll be looking for more in the area in hopes I might find another. I wasn't convinced this was mechanical doubling because between the intended device of the torch, and the doubled bands there is a distinct vertical split. I thought that if it was mechanical, there would not be any definition with the bands but would rather be flat, shelf like, and no vertical split between the torch and the doubled bands. My thoughts are based on what I've seen in hand, what I've come across in research, and also insight from the many posters on this site!

Thank you all, you've added much to my collecting interest.

Rich

Roger, I went to the town were I found the dime back in change. The discovery coin was found at a restaurant in Defiance, OH. I went to the closest bank by the restaurant and asked if they had any "shiny new dimes." Teller told me there was no way of telling since bank wrapped in rolls. So I asked to buy a box of dimes for $250. When the teller was going back to the vault I noticed there was a row of uncirculated dimes in her coin tray that had mixed circulated / uncirculated above those. I asked to inspect the uncirculated in the row and they were the 2016-D's. I bought all she had- total of 45. There were 3 of those in the 45 that had the same DDR as discovery piece!

I will be going through the box tonite to look for more DDR's.

If there's other collectors in that area- good luck! I don't mind sharing the opportunity to find these. I won't let the cat out of the bag in regards to name of restaurant and bank- got to make it a little challenging. Happy hunting!

Thanks Roger and Jason!

Here is a hint for those in Defiance area who may want to find the Bank I procured these last 3 from- I'm not going back:

The bank is within 1,300 ft. of the restaurant, and on the opposite side of the road.

...under the small bridge next to where the jötnar live. Turn left at the enchanted I-Hop and then make a sharp right -- or a sharp left, it doesn't really matter -- until you reach the bank....That is, IF you make it to the bank.

...under the small bridge next to where the jötnar live. Turn left at the enchanted I-Hop and then make a sharp right -- or a sharp left, it doesn't really matter -- until you reach the bank....That is, IF you make it to the bank.

No Roger, don't spoil it! There's no I'Hop!

Ok, another clue- last one for any Defiance area takers. It will lead you there!

Start where the Walls were never tested, at the confluence long ago, ford the route at its surest way, if you dare where eagles fly, you will find a chance to seek, a double die that's your's to buy!

For those of you who can't travel- I'll sweeten the deal...The first to respond who cracks the riddle and can provide me with the correct address of the Bank on one attempt, and provide me with only one address; I will send them a 2016-D DDR! This offer will also be posted ATS. So first to respond, here, or, there will be the winner. PM me with your chance!

Good luck!

Rich

From the previous page:

Start where the Walls were never tested, at the confluence long ago, ford the route at its surest way, if you dare where eagles fly, you will find a chance to seek, a double die that's your's to buy!

A poster ATS was first to answer correctly- thanks to all who participated! If anyone still wants to participate for fun; I'll post answear to riddle tomorrow evening. Oh, please be sure to post if you find one of these. Someone ATS found a few.

Thanks,

Rich

Nice addition of fun to the collection chase! (The jötnar went hungry.)

Will be interesting to see how many more of these turn up either locally or elsewhere in the country.

The answer to the riddle: Need to utilize Google Maps and also use street view.

Start where the Walls were never tested, at the confluence long ago, ford the route at its surest way, if you dare where eagles fly, you will find a chance to seek, a double die that's yours to buy!

The opening clue to the riddle- “Start where the Walls were never tested, at the confluence long ago” would of placed the searcher at Ft. Defiance which is located at the confluence of the Maumee and Auglaize rivers. Ft. Defiance was constructed under the order of General “Mad” Anthony Wayne and completed August 17, 1794 as part of a line of defenses in the event his forces had to fall back against the Indian confederacy that was supplied by the British. General Wayne had a decisive victory against the Indian confederacy at the Battle of Fallen Timbers Augst 20th in 1794, at present day Maumee Ohio, and cemented control of the North West territory from the British and Indian confederacy. Ft. Defiance was never attacked: “Walls were never tested.”

The second clue, “ford the route at its surest way” translates to crossing the Maumee River onto North Clinton Street. The keyword “route” refers to the Maumee River. The Maumee River connected the Great Lakes region with the Mississippi river system by a portage with the Wabash River. Early European traders used this important “route” in trade and travel, and later by France which gave a direct link from New Orleans to Quebec. This “route” was vitally strategic, from the French and Indian War to the War of 1812. The bridge over the Maumee River in relation to the Fort Defiance is closest, and best possible way to “ford the route” and would be “ at its surest way.”

The final clue, “if you dare where eagles fly” would relate to the location of the bank where I found the 3 2016-D, DDR’s. The bank is on North Clinton Street and has a logo of an eagle incorporated along with the name of the bank: First Federal Bank. This is where street view becomes important: If you pan to the right you will see the sign with the eagle!

The rest of the riddle is self-explanatory; “you will find a chance to seek, a double die that’s yours to buy”!

Thanks,

Rich

Ah, I see.

I got that first part, about the fort. I knew the ford was referring to a bridge, but I guess I should have *crossed* the bridge.

I got thrown off by the eagles.... Google fairly prominently shows the "Fraternal order of the eagles" on W 2nd Street, and I guess I "Key"ed in on that.

"A total of 8 discovered so far between here, and ATS."

Good! That means 8 are located between Florida and California....doesn't it?

"A total of 8 discovered so far between here, and ATS."

Good! That means 8 are located between Florida and California....doesn't it?

Understood! I'll narrow the scope a bit: Ohio, and Michigan. doh!