• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Double Sovereign 'Authorized Version' Modern - "View"

15 posts in this topic

This is a double sovereign 'authorized version' purchased from the Royal Mint. Below are the specifications. We thought some may wish to view the item

Denomination £ 2

Alloy Inner: 0.925 Ag

Alloy outer: 0.925 Ag. Plated with fine gold

Weight: 24.00 g

Diameter: 28.40 mm

Obverse Designer: Ian Rank- Broadley FRBS

Reverse Designer: Paul Stafford & Benjamin Wright

Edge Inscription: The Authorized Version

Quality: Proof

Maximum Coin Mintage: * 3500

Limited Edition Presentation: 1500 *

Piedfort coins originated in medieval France. The name signifies ‘heavy measure’, a term still entirely appropriate to the Piedfort today since, struck on thicker than normal blanks, a silver Piedfort coin is customarily double the thickness and so double the weight of its standard silver counterpart.

Obverse

epov7q.jpg

Reverse

iz2ntc.jpg

* Side- 'Notice the double thickness.

2u9mucy.jpg

Sorry, I should have been more attentive.

RWB is obviously not part of the Welcoming Commitee here. Welcome!!!

:acclaim:

mark

Sorry, I should have been more attentive.

RWB is obviously not part of the Welcoming Commitee here. Welcome!!!

:acclaim:

mark

Thank you very much. No harm done. Would you know if notifications are sent to threads (posts) ? I'm unaware of that facet or bypassed it somewhere. Thanks again.

synoptic12:

Before your post I had only read about Piedfort coins and had never seen one. Regardless of where it "should" have been posted, it's certainly a nifty coin.

Mark

I completely missed the obvious purpose of the hair.....As noted, it provides a clear reference for dimension and might be something the TPGs want to include with each slabbed coin. It would also give collectors a standard for "hairline cracks" and similar defects.

Of course, TPGs will have to start certifying these.... :)

For those more discerning viewers, I have uploaded some "larger" pictures. However, there are some minor distractions in fiber yarns being present on the lens. There is a screw on cap for the coin.

11t7y43.jpg

30ax85w.jpg

There are no 'Flecks' on the coin, "merely dirt on the lens".

2lbz69j.jpg358q80y.jpg

Mark Twain had some yarns too, so don't worry about them. :)

What is the edge inscription?

[You might try keeping posted images to about 800 pixels wide. That will fill most screens.]

Mark Twain had some yarns too, so don't worry about them. :)

What is the edge inscription?

[You might try keeping posted images to about 800 pixels wide. That will fill most screens.]

Thank you very much. I believe you are correct on the 800 pixels. That is most likely the sweet spot. However, I just crop at full exposure but if the pictures suffice I'll let them be. The writing on the side states: "Authorized Version".