• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

US Mint Pays $20 a Pound for those Road Kill Parking Lot Coins

7 posts in this topic

The US Mint currently pays $20 per pound for damaged dimes, quarters, and half dollars, and there’s no limit on how many mutilated coins you can submit.

See the full story ~here~

I've got a few run over rail road pennies laying around here somewhere, but would the shipping be cost preventative?

Many years ago, 40 or so, I sent them a box of ground up, bent up, twisted,cut up change. They would try to determine the true face and pay you that. Must have been awfully labor intensive, so they went with the pound thing.

Paul

The program is currently suspended while they investigate the redemption they paidfor for many millions of dollars of fake coins shipped over from China. Suspension is due to end in November but may get extended,

When it is operating YOU have to separate the coins by denomination and package them separately. The rate is $20 a pound because if you do the math you'll find that $20 of any CuNi clad denomination weighs a pound.

When it is operating YOU have to separate the coins by denomination and package them separately. The rate is $20 a pound because if you do the math you'll find that $20 of any CuNi clad denomination weighs a pound.

If they all have the same weight/face value ratio, why do you have to separate them out? I'm guessing they are all just going into the melting pot anyways.

145 copper pennies per pound ($1.45 duh)

zinc cents 180 zinc pennies in a pound ($1.80 )

A pound of nickels is the equivalent of 90.7 nickels (make it 90) which is $4.50

$20 worth of dimes = 2000 x 2.268g = 453.6 g = 1 lb

$20 worth of quarters = 80 x 5.670g = 453.6 g

$20 worth of half-dollars = 40 x 11.340g = 453.6 g

So to me, cents/nickels would not allowed the $20 min per pound payment, just the dimes, quarters & 50 cent pieces.