• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rick's US Coins

37 posts in this topic

First saw Rick Tomaska on You Tube with his "Buy the coin and not the slab" presentation. He presented some good advice. Flipping through the channels and I found he has a coin show called Rick's US Coins on Rare Collectibles TV. I've watched a few episodes and reached my own conclusions. Any opinions on his show?

Generally speaking, coins advertised over the radio, TV, newspapers and magazines tend to be bad deals. And on the rare occasions when they're reasonably priced, it's often a prelude to trying to get the buyer to pay too much for something else, later.

A leading author on Franklin & Kennedy Half Dollars but some say he 'sold out' in order to market coins. Everyone needs an income but I find the "Coin Vault" approach a bit misleading. At least 99% of his offerings are certified, so anyone with an internet connection can do some homework just to see for themselves if the offer is fair.

i know very little about coins. I watch his program for education and i like the charts he uses that have taught me a few things. I will never purchase from this source because the prices for like graded coins are not a good deal based on the grade. But, with that said I was told that he has an exceptional eye and perhaps if he truly selected these coins, perhaps they are at the top of the line for each grade and perhaps deserve the higher premium?

i know very little about coins. I watch his program for education and i like the charts he uses that have taught me a few things. I will never purchase from this source because the prices for like graded coins are not a good deal based on the grade. But, with that said I was told that he has an exceptional eye and perhaps if he truly selected these coins, perhaps they are at the top of the line for each grade and perhaps deserve the higher premium?

Don't believe everything you hear from promoters of coins - verify the information elsewhere. My answer to the question about the higher premiums would usually be "no".

Here's what I think. He gives some good information, but I found that the coins are overpriced. So I agree completely with Mark Feld. I was just curious to see what others felt. Apparently he's been doing this show for a couple of years, but I just came across it. I'll watch it for information and entertainment. At least he's not just selling the modern coins that you see being touted on Coin Vault. I consider HSN Coin Vault to be entertainment only.

So if you are looking for nice Franklins or other high end cameos you could try bidding on Heritage coins or other auction coins. By the time you find really nice pieces and pay buyers fees you'll be paying retail plus anyway. Or you could try Rick and he may show you several with no obligation to buy. I've seen real high end coins with phenomenal contrast for the date pass through his company. Some '50 - '64 cameo proofs are extremely rare in ultra heavy contrast. Oh wait.... don't tell anyone !

Don't believe everything you hear from promoters of coins - verify the information elsewhere. My answer to the question about the higher premiums would usually be "no".

I agree. If the seller needs to hype something, there is usually a good reason why. Ditto for the coins with fantastic stories. The coins should speak for themselves.

I really enjoyed Rick's buy the coin and not the holder series and his Franklin book.

I have sold coins to him, but would never buy from him. The prices for the coins I'd want are just too high.

So if you are looking for nice Franklins or other high end cameos you could try bidding on Heritage coins or other auction coins. By the time you find really nice pieces and pay buyers fees you'll be paying retail plus anyway. Or you could try Rick and he may show you several with no obligation to buy. I've seen real high end coins with phenomenal contrast for the date pass through his company. Some '50 - '64 cameo proofs are extremely rare in ultra heavy contrast. Oh wait.... don't tell anyone !

The "retail plus" coins from auction that you mentioned, are sometimes bought by dealers, who mark them up significantly.

Is Con Vault part of Silvertown?

Yes, at least they did supply the coins, and handle the orders and the shipping. Of course I'm not sure if they do anymore since they got hit with some financial troubles.

Is Con Vault part of Silvertown?

Yes, at least they did supply the coins, and handle the orders and the shipping. Of course I'm not sure if they do anymore since they got hit with some financial troubles.

Financial problems? The company that was part owner of the 2014 gold Kennedy that allegedly sold for $100,000 after a co-owner hired actors to hype the coin and make the issue seem more desirable than it was?

I'd call that karma.

"I'd call that karma." [The totality of a person's actions and conduct during successive incarnations, regarded as causally influencing his or her destiny.]

"Karma" or "Konma?" ;)

I used to have a lot of respect for Rick Tomaska. Earlier in his career, he did a lot for the hobby. His early publications and clout helped convince the TPGs to designate CAM/UCAM, and he helped bring FBL Franklins to the mainstream collector (and TPGs). His early books are valuable sources of information.

Unfortunately, I have lost almost all respect for Tomaska. I am one of the ones that says he "sold out." He is now all about marketing and wringing every penny he can from whatever sucker he can find. I have zero respect for his current "business" practices - the sooner people like him are drummed from the hobby, the better. He is currently doing more damage to the hobby than good, and I hate to see what he has become.

I agree that he often sells superlative coins. Unfortunately, he markets them at many, many multiples of retail. The prices he requests are so high that any buyer is buried miles deep in the coin, with no hope of coming anywhere close when they sell. You'll see his proxie marketing on this site sometimes (JackieOF), and the prices they request are enough to give you heart palpitations.

Yes I've been 'buried' on a few of these coins. However some of them regrade a point higher and or get a Star designation. I'm not looking for 'good deals' that some are looking for just to turn a profit. Their collections are blah blah collections that sell for blah blah money at auction. Premium coins should sell for premium money. Buyers need to have the eye for high end material and put their money where their passion is.

Yes I've been 'buried' on a few of these coins. However some of them regrade a point higher and or get a Star designation. I'm not looking for 'good deals' that some are looking for just to turn a profit. Their collections are blah blah collections that sell for blah blah money at auction. Premium coins should sell for premium money. Buyers need to have the eye for high end material and put their money where their passion is.

All valid points.

mark

I agree that he often sells superlative coins. Unfortunately, he markets them at many, many multiples of retail. The prices he requests are so high that any buyer is buried miles deep in the coin, with no hope of coming anywhere close when they sell. You'll see his proxie marketing on this site sometimes (JackieOF), and the prices they request are enough to give you heart palpitations.

But in fairness, there is no price police in numismatics nor should there be. Value is in the eye of the beholder. I disagree with his marketing (TV stuff), however, and the coin photography methods used. As far as pricing goes, as long as the pieces are described fairly, accurately, and no representations of value are made, I couldn't care less what he prices them for.

But in fairness, there is no price police in numismatics nor should there be. Value is in the eye of the beholder.

Oh, I agree - if he can find a sucker to pay his prices, then good for him. Caveat emptor, and all that.

However, it is my duty to warn others about his inflated prices.

But in fairness, there is no price police in numismatics nor should there be. Value is in the eye of the beholder.

Oh, I agree - if he can find a sucker to pay his prices, then good for him. Caveat emptor, and all that.

If you really believe that it is "your duty to warn others" you need to reevaluate some things in your life... i think you, like many others here are confusing facts with opinions again..

The market value of a coin is established by buyer and seller reaching agreement.

The condition - or "grade" - should be completely independent and objective (as much as is possible).

If one person asks "$X" for a specific coin and another asks "$2X," then both are valid if there are willing buyers.

If you really believe that it is "your duty to warn others" you need to reevaluate some things in your life... i think you, like many others here are confusing facts with opinions again..

Well, I'm not Captain Numismatica out flying around preserving Truth, Justice, and the Coin Collecting Way....

But, when you see someone asking about Great Southern Coin, you warn them about their practice of selling cleaned coins with really nice pictures.

When you see someone asking about paying hundreds of dollars for a set of gold plated state quarters, you warn them that it might not be the best idea.

When you see someone selling coins for 3x-4x average retail price (and often quite a bit more), you warn them that they can usually find similar coins elsewhere for a fraction of the cost. This isn't opinion - you can look at price guides and auction results to see that for yourself.

Perhaps "duty" wasn't the right word - but, when you see something, you say something.

Well, I'm not Captain Numismatica out flying around preserving Truth, Justice, and the Coin Collecting Way....

But, when you see someone asking about Great Southern Coin, you warn them about their practice of selling cleaned coins with really nice pictures.

When you see someone asking about paying hundreds of dollars for a set of gold plated state quarters, you warn them that it might not be the best idea.

When you see someone selling coins for 3x-4x average retail price (and often quite a bit more), you warn them that they can usually find similar coins elsewhere for a fraction of the cost. This isn't opinion - you can look at price guides and auction results to see that for yourself.

Perhaps "duty" wasn't the right word - but, when you see something, you say something.

It's one thing to misrepresent offers with cleaned or otherwise substandard coins. But I think you are missing one very important factor. Price guides reflect auction prices and average retail prices are for average coins. I expect something better and am prepared to pay more for premium quality material when I see it.

It's one thing to misrepresent offers with cleaned or otherwise substandard coins. But I think you are missing one very important factor. Price guides reflect auction prices and average retail prices are for average coins. I expect something better and am prepared to pay more for premium quality material when I see it.

That makes sense. But some of those "premium quality" coins - the identical ones - are purchased via auction or elsewhere and marked up by multiples.

I saw something recently on his show that I was pleased with. He was offering the gold Mercury dime in NGC 70 for $399.00. I know it retailed from the mint at $205.00 as I bought one, but Mike Mezack of HSN was offering his in ANACS 70 for $999.95! I was pleased to see Rick offer his in an NGC holder at $399.00. That was a much better deal than $999.95.

I saw something recently on his show that I was pleased with. He was offering the gold Mercury dime in PCGS 70 for $399.00. I know it retailed from the mint at $205.00 as I bought one, but Mike Mezack of HSN was offering his in ANACS 70 for $995.00! I was pleased to see Rick offer his in a PCGS holder at $399.00. That was a much better deal.

I did a quick search on Ebay to see what they're going for and this is the first one that popped up:

2016 W Gold Mercury Dime PCGS SP 70 First Strike

$279.99

Buy It Now

Free shipping

90 watching