• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

An Assortment of Nice World Coins

25 posts in this topic

I spent my evening taking pictures of coins so why not post a few of the more interesting specimens here. Most of these will be for sale eventually but since there's no policy regarding SSP in this forum that shouldn't be a problem. Besides, in order to object someone would have to read this post! 27_laughing.gif

Let get rolling!

786670-1889EthiopiaHundrethBNGC65BN.jpg

This one is an Ethiopian 1/100 Birr. The date on the slab is from the Ethiopin calendar which began 7 years and 8 months after the Christian one - thus the coin is dated 1896/97 AD . When it was struck is unknown as these were made with the date frozen of the emperor's ascent, in this case Menelik II. An unusual coin, not that much nice early Ethiopian coinage out there.

786671-1917Finland1pNGC66RD.jpg

This is a Finland penni. I like this one as it was made during Finland's change from a Russian Grand Duchy to and independent state. These coins were made in such a rush that the old Imperial dies were used but the crown above the eagles' heads was ground off. After the civil war ended they came up with their own designs. Not all that an unusual coin but nice in that its fully red.

786674-1917SFinland50pNGC67.jpg

Companion piece to the above coin with the same story about the missing crown. Very nice coin, a lovely supurb gem.

786676-1919SPhilippines10cNGC66.jpg

A 10 centavo struck for the Philippines while under US sovereignty at the San francisco mint. These are getting tought to buy inexpensively as US coin collectors move in. Most of the stuff before 1937 is tough to find in high grade.

786678-1924DGermany50rentpNGC66.jpg

A Weimar republic 50 rentenpfennig - not to be confused with a 50 reichpfennig. What's the difference? Rentenpfennigs were backed by real estate while reichpfennigs were backed by gold. After the hyperinflation destroyed the value of the old Imperial mark the governement had to devise a new currency. However, all the gold in the national bank had gone to pay reparations. Therefore they came up with a currency backed by mortgages against the governement's land holdings. They were successful enough that inflation ended and the gold began to return. Therefore Germany was able to replace them within a year by the gold backed reichpfennig. The French also helped by deciding that their reparations were better served by getting part of something rather than all of nothing. Much nicer than average, these were made in such a rush they're usually seen crude. This one actually has luster!

786680-1936India5KNGC67.jpg

A 5 kori from the Indian Princely State of Kutch. The Brits preferred to rule much of India through pliable local rulers rather than directly so these states survived until Indian independence with many issuing their own coins. Fairly common coin but exceptionally nice.

786682-1988Japan50YNGC69.jpg

I bought this in a mintset as the coins all looked to be super grades. I figured this one a 68 and the rest 67s - maybe I should send the rest in! This one will skyrocket in value once NGC gets the 1988 Japan mint set registry goin and competition heats up!

That seems to be a good mix of stuff. Please feel free to make comment, add your own nice coins or expand on the background of these.

-JamminJ

What, no mexico? I was expecting at least a 1962 1 Peso in MS-68?

None in MS68 but a few in MS67. I'll slum with a lowly MS66 because I like the color:

786706-1966Mexico1PNGC66.jpg

That's pretty, how much?

TRUTH

I have several with similar color. I'll give some thought to the prices and bring them to the show tomorrow so you can have a look.

thumbsup2.gif

Nice coins, JJ!

Maybe you can answer this for me...............Why doesn't NGC include the KM# on the insert?

Chris

Nice coins, JJ!

Maybe you can answer this for me...............Why doesn't NGC include the KM# on the insert?

Thanks!

They usually include KM numbers if there are two similar varieties. If the coin can be uniquely identified by country, year & denomination they don't seem to bother.

All nice coins JJ - I like the peso best of all 893applaud-thumb.gif

Gotta ask though - where do you find these ? I don't specifically, but in general ? Shops, shows, auctions - what ? Or all of the above ?

I gotta get off my duff and get the camera out - lots of new acquisitions that I need to get pics of.

Gotta ask though - where do you find these ? I don't specifically, but in general ? Shops, shows, auctions - what ? Or all of the above ?

Every coin in this thread was bought from a single shop on two or three different occasions.

I also have very good luck at shows. Plenty of coins also come raw over the internet - both e-aby and online shops. I've actually never won a coin in a "real" auction.

Greg you're gonna have to go back to usin that old avatar again devil.gif

The little girl with the pony tails?

Or how about some really nice George V silver?

Not a single one - that stuff is tough! Plenty of copper though: Hong Kong, India, Canada and probably a few others in the mix.

More great looking material James, any SA stuff this batch??

I had one but sold it a few weeks back:

788402-1966SAfrica1RNGCPF68.jpg

I do have the rest of the proof set sitting around raw, but I'm not sure whether so have it graded or not.

More great looking material James, any SA stuff this batch??

I had one but sold it a few weeks back:

I do have the rest of the proof set sitting around raw, but I'm not sure whether so have it graded or not.

I believe I have two South African PF Sets either in being graded or waiting to go in right now. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Most of these will be for sale eventually but since there's no policy regarding SSP in this forum that shouldn't be a problem.

Very nice coins and what is a SSP?

Very nice coins and what is a SSP?

Shameless Self Promotion.

Thanks by the way isn't that what I do every day when I post with a sigline about my rickshaw fly-by-night coin operation on EBAY 893scratchchin-thumb.gif