• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SMS '64 Kennedy

12 posts in this topic

Interesting lot currently up for bid at Heritage Long Beach auction:

A 1964 Kennedy SMS and described as PCGS MS 67. Technical description of die markers and polish lines like Heritage usually does with important coins like this causes me to consider equally important detractors that should be mentioned but rarely are. Of course I'm referring to mishandling on the obverse that to me would keep this out of superb gem status. Spotting and obvious finger prints really turn me off and any other modern half dollars looking like this would get a technical grade less than superb IMHO. Just another market grade by PCGS.

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth, that's what I'd be saying.

I find the distractions are not as significant as the one image depicts.

40K :o

rare as hens teeth

Big deal. A 1970 Original Hemi went for 2.65 Mil. :banana:

And a Picasso sold last year for $67 million. Big deal. What's your point?

We're talking coins here, and they don't generally make a good comparison to other collectibles.

My point was the market grade. If one of the few others are the same grade without distractions then which one is worth more. (I mean the coin and not the holder).

Big deal. A 1970 Original Hemi went for 2.65 Mil. :banana:

And a Picasso sold last year for $67 million. Big deal. What's your point?

We're talking coins here, and they don't generally make a good comparison to other collectibles.

One point here is that if you want to avoid being miffed at certain persons that you are not chat board enamored with, try to ignore their posts, instead of being discourteous and childish.

So, on to another subject on another thread that awakened your ire...the 1864 gold transportation Contract thread that Mr. RWB started. I hope I fulfilled your requirements with my replies, and assuaged you from any evil intent that you may have mentally assigned to me, and peaked your interest in the subject of early transportation and Comancheria and the part played in numismatics. I mention it only because you never replied.It may be because you felt a little embarrassed. Don't be. It was nothing personal. I think it may have not lowered your inner snarky meter though, based on this latest post of yours. Life is to short. Relax and enjoy and forgive the minor transgressions of others, including me, on your strict self appointed moderating guidelines. It happens. I realize you wanted to be a Moderator on this forum, and I am sorry you haven't been successful, but really, controlling the free speech and humor attempts (whether it meets your fancy or not) by other members has a bit of a get off my lawn appearance, don't you think?

As to the 70 Hemi, did you know the same type auto was used in a spectacular robbery attempt of gold bullion, and the use of it caused a review of the types of engines used by LEO, because the squad cars couldn't keep up? Interesting numismatic tie in.

What kind of auto is a Picasso? I never heard of that.

My point was the market grade. If one of the few others are the same grade without distractions then which one is worth more. (I mean the coin and not the holder).

He was referring to me with the whats your point thing. I awakened his go to the Principal's office gene. It happens.

It is not you, its me. I know I transgressed but that was no evil intent or hijacking intended.

As to the market grade observation, I agree.

Sorry, my comments were not directed at you. They were directed at another member who I should have put on ignore a long time ago. I have now remedied that. Sorry for the hijack.

I agree with your points about market grading.

Sorry, my comments were not directed at you. They were directed at another member who I should have put on ignore a long time ago. I have now remedied that. Sorry for the hijack.

I agree with your points about market grading.

problem solved. (thumbs u

I found the 'tear drop' diagnostic on the crosslet of the 4 to be interesting, I cannot recall if I knew that before or not. If not, it's an important pick-up-point.

Carry on.