• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

D.B. Cooper notes

13 posts in this topic

Seriously??? It was big news at the time and again in 2008 and again this year when the FBI finally abandoned the case.

Let me google that for you...

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=d.b.+cooper+bills

Well, my mother was 9 years old in 1971... and I certainly wasn't around yet. I don't recall hearing about this in 2008 or this year, either.

I'm certainly capable of googling, but I like your animation.

My post was aimed more at the OP.... it isn't very useful or helpful to just throw out a random sentence/question like that, and assume that everyone knows what you are talking about. I don't mean to be rude or hijack a thread (yeah, pun intended), but I think the OP would have been more useful if he presented an argument, explained the details, shared some insight, or even linked to an article... rather than just throw out a random question....

The notes that were recovered were returned to the finder. At least some of them were later slabbed and have sold at public auction. My guess is they belong to the finder if he still has any, and the buyers of the notes.

Found this

In 1986, after protracted negotiations, the recovered bills were divided equally between Ingram and Northwest Orient's insurer; the FBI retained 14 examples as evidence.[67][87] Ingram sold fifteen of his bills at auction in 2008 for about $37,000.[88] To date, none of the 9,710 remaining bills have turned up anywhere in the world. Their serial numbers remain available online for public search.[89]

That would mean the finder had 138 of the bills and he has sold 15 of them. So he has 123 left. Frankly I'm surprised the insurance company hasn't placed some of them on the market to get a chunk of their money back.

Ad for the remaining missing money, it would probably belong to the insurance company, but they could probably be negotiated into a similar settlement as what the original finder received.

See Esylum article about the nearly 2 dozen notes pieced together and certified by PCGS. At first I thought OH MY..... that was ransom money and couldn't possibly be property of finder could it ? But there is a link to the press release also. Wonder what it cost to reassemble and holder the damaged bills. (tsk)

Well since I live in Texas they can get mine I bought at a high end auction house only after the gun battle. Even then my 6'8" 355lb son might have something to shoot or say about it.