• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How many have had more pleasant experiences with NGC?

15 posts in this topic

I have---coins that I've bought as NCG slabs have been more reasonably priced, more consistently graded, and with less "dealer attitude," than have the PCGS varieties. I've also had very positive experiences with ANACS slabs, especially with some of the US Bust Quarters and Halves, whiich were "net graded" due to tooling or cleaning.

Anyone else share this experience??

When I buy an NGC coin sight-unseen (by picture), I have a good idea of what the coin will look like marks wise. When they grade it MS64, I know that the condition of the coin will be around MS64. It might be a little better or worse than I expected, but it's close. I'll freely admit that I've been disappointed on occasion, but I have also been pleasantly surprised at least as often.

I cannot buy a PCGS coin sight-unseen. I am at too much of a disadvantage. When they say MS64, the coin could be anything from MS62 (during their liberal years when they had to buy back a ton of coins or before they changed their standards yet again) to MS66 (their current I can grade tighter than you rampage). I cannot put in a fair bid. If I bid MS64 money, I will lose all those coins that are better to the sight seen bidders. The coins I do win will be the average or below average.

PCGS has killed their sight-unseen market.

NGC does an excellent job at addressing problems. From PCGS' actions, it seems to me that they're not trying to solve problems, just make more, until one day everything goes haywire. I'll bet Rick Montgomery is happy that he made the switch to NGC. I've heard Florida is better then California too. wink.gif

The sad thing is had PCGS addressed the problems, they wouldn't have been all the complaints in the forums. How many emails can you send that don't get responded to? How many phone calls can you make that don't get returned? They brought the problems on themselves. Is it any wonder more and more submissions are headed toward Florida?

You complain about something over here and you are contacted within a short period of time. NGC is willing to work on the problem or at the very least admit that there is a problem. If they don't agree with your thinking, they will explain why.

No one would listen to me over at PCGS about them damaging my coins (fingerprints) until I finally had one with watery snot on it and I posted a picture of it.

I've heard Florida is better then California too wink.gif

Now don't start talking crazy. smirk.gif

I have good experiences so far with NGC coins. I thought they were a tad liberal on a coin I bought but I paid a fair price for the coin - not the holder, so it all worked out. I have submitted the same coin to both PCGS and NGC and recieved the same results, however this was a year and a half ago. I suspect if I cracked the NGC coin today PCGS would slide it down a Pt. This is why I like NGC, at least from my experience. I know what the grade actually is, not what it is this, that or the next month.

I guess I could have made the post a little shorter - "I agree with Greg".

To give PCGS some credit, I do agree that a FS Jeff is 5 or more steps, and have not found the Jefferson grading to have differed in the last few years at PCGS. Lincoln's are totally different - lol.

I've had much more pleasant experiences with NGC than PCGS. I gave up on PCGS approx. 2 years ago. For my style of grading, however that can be described, I'm more in line with NGC. I almost always get the grades I feel a coin deserves from NGC. That doesn't mean I get "gift" grades, just fair grading. They were a bit tight on a couple of coins from my last submission, but nothing crazy. I sold one of those "tougher graded" Morgans on Ebay. Check out the feedback I received from "mysonbrad" on that coin:

http://cgi2.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback&userid=darin5@attbi.com

I think he would agree that the coin was better than the assigned grade smile.gif

I would also say that Anacs is better than most give them credit for. Their consistency leaves a bit to be desired, but they do a decent job, with the material I send them anyways, and are excellent at attributions etc. Again, in my experience.

I have to agree with BigD on the ANACS as well, except I just got my first bad ANACS coin. I only paid $10, sight unseen for a 1937 MS66RD lincoln so I can't complain too much but the coin is a 64 on a good day. I have never failed to cross an ANACS Lincoln in its holder or subsequntly raw to PCGS.

NGC's single best qualities re my submissions have been predictable grading, and a willingness to assign a money grade. My last submission included a pop-top that I didn't have to call anyone about or resubmit 3 times to get. It deserved the grade, and I appreciate not spending 6 mos trying to get it properly holdered. It was returned to me holdered in about 3 weeks. The invoice also included one star coin, and that was a real treat. Never once in a phone conversation have I been made to feel as though I am a bother, and am always greeted by a friendly staffer.

Consistent grading is NGC's strength. I have had one (of very many) poor experiences with an NGC coin bought sight-unseen, but MANY with PCGS. What Greg said regarding the variability of grading is right-on. I also agree that PCGS is hanging itself in the sight-unseen market. As for ANACS, I also have to agree with the above, as I've had many good experiences and only a couple of poor experiences in the sight-unseen market (online auctions and what-not). BTW, the most I've ever paid for an NGC graded coin without ever seeing a picture or without ever seeing the coin was $1600. The description was typical of that of an NGC graded coin, and the result was stunning.

NGC's customer care is unparalelled in the industry.

Hoot

I agree with most of the comments made above in/re NGC being far more consistent in grading, ESPECIALLY certain series. Morgans have more variability in grading accuracy than any other series, with the possible exception of Liberty gold coins (due to the softness of surface, and frequency of bag marks on uncirculated coins). I've found NGC to be extremely accurate on Morgans, particularly on gems and DMPL, PL coins (PCGS either gave out the DMPL designation far too arbitrarily---I'd have a coin that would pass the 8" test, but NOT receive a DMPL grading, and then, another pedigreed coin that didn't pass the mirror test would be a solid DMPL). I've been especially happy with NGC's grading of weakly struck "o" mint Morgans---they didn't downgrade the coin as a result of die strike, but considered the surface preservation as primary concern.

I have found NGC to be far and away the best grading service around! I could go on and on with good experiences but I will try to summarize what I have noticed. They have everything going for them: very consistent grading, excellent customer service, variety attribution, the safest holder, safe handling of the coins (no fingerprints!), grading that is more in-line with market standards, the best graders, superior expertise, NCS, fair and honest Appearance Review service, etc!

One example of superior expertise is that NGC is the only grading service that understands the concept of strike vs. wear on a Bust Half dollar. PCGS is absolutely clueless, ANACS is very good but does not take luster in consideration and relies too much on detail. NGC balances wear with luster and understands the striking characteristics, and the end result is a very accurately graded coin!

Another example of expertise is is that NGC won't assign a high grade to a coin with ugly finderprints. Coins with MS67 characteristics will grade MS64 at NGC if there is an ugly fingerprint. I have found that PCGS does not mind an ugly fingerprint or two and will still assign the higher grade. In fact, sometimes PCGS will add some fingerprints to the coin before returning it to the submitter (that's a free gift that I do not want)!