• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NEW SERVER COMING - YOU WILL NEED TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD

14 posts in this topic

• Administrator

We are getting the new server up and running right now. Soon we'll be briefly closing the boards to transfer the data, and then redirecting this address to the new boards.

1) For a short time (until we move the domain name) you will be redirected to an IP address instead of to "boards.collectors-society.com". But you will still be able to type that address in and use it, as we will handle the redirect for you. I'm only mentioning it because you may notice the IP address in the web address bar at the top of your browser and wonder about it.

2) UNFORTUNATELY, on the new server, the encryption of passwords has changed. This means that we cannot recover your old password. When the new site goes in, you will not be logged in, and your old password WILL NOT WORK.

WHAT YOU WILL NEED TO DO: Simply click "login" and use the "I forgot my Password" section on the bottom of that page. A new working password will be emailed to you. IF you would like an "easier to remember" password, be sure to go to "My Home" and click the link toward the bottom of the page next to "Personal information, email, password, etc.". You can change your password here to whatever you'd like it to be.

The new server should be great. Sorry about the inconvenience on changing passwords.

Regards,

Arch

ARCH any chance of putting this on hold for a few weeks. After everything that happened yesterday on the PCGS board we have a lot of new members that are still getting thier bearings straight here. If this is done now it might be to confusing to them and we might lose some of them because they might decide that this board is to hard to get around. CHRIS

• Administrator

Hmmm. Maybe.

Any word from you new guys? Will this be a problem for you?

Arch

Ahh, web migration stuff. I know it all too well, unfortunately.

How about this, setup the new server, redirect this url to an intermediate page that explains the password situation and have a link to the board. Perhaps also a link on this intermediate page that points to the forget password page. That way the boards are migrated, there is a clear page explaining the situation, and everyone is happy!

Neil, happy to be on vacation for 10 days away from 2 web farms, intranet, and other programming projects!!! grin.gifsmile.gifcool.giflaugh.gifwink.gifgrin.gif

will this affect the numisquest tria contest? I really look forward to that and would hate to miss it.

that might make the registered number of members more accurate, resetting passwords will get rid of many shill accounts. smile.gif

• Administrator

Hrm. Yes.

Avatars not hosted on this site will work. Those that reside on our server will work again after we get the "boards.collectors-society.com" domain moved to here. So probably by Tuesday or so.

Arch

The email did take quite a while to get to me with the new password. I ran through it twice.

You must have made a change. I had trouble posting, but now it seems fixed. I like it when that happens! smile.gif Great job on the migration, too. I know how much fun it is. Especially when you consider all the ways people link to the boards. Betcha can't wait for the DNS update...

• Administrator

Yah, we found a problem with posting when using the "preview" feature. We fixed it at about 8:30pm.

Thanks, DevNull, for putting in the time! smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

Arch

I made it! smile.gif Of course it wouldnt accept the new password it sent it for about ten minutes after I got it frown.gif and I copied and pasted so it wasnt fat fingers. But it eventually gave and let me back in ! YAY ! grin.gif and I can see this new place is much faster! smile.gif