• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I know they are not coins, but

12 posts in this topic

Can someone explain to me how the U.S.Mint can sell out of 100,000 medals in less than six minutes with an order limit of one coin per "household". Other issues seem to crash the servers when the order limits are higher. And, no, I didn't get through, Again. So, as I refuse to pay $300 { I got a mailer on the same day as the release} for a $35 medal, I guess I am out of luck..This article says 25,000 but the original release said 100.000

The U.S. Mint launched the 2016 American Liberty Silver Medals today and both product options went into “Currently Unavailable” status on the Mint’s Web site within minutes of being released.

As unique 99.9% silver issues offered at a modest price-point with limited mintages, these medals were not expected to last long, but the speed at which buyers exhausted the Mint’s complete 25,000-piece inventory was surprising nonetheless. Both issues — one struck at the West Point Mint and the other struck at the San Francisco Mint — were unavailable after only six minutes. After sales concluded, Michael White of the Mint’s Office of Corporate Communications issued a notice stating “the status of the American Liberty 2016 Silver Medal will remain as currently unavailable until all order reconciliations and order cancellations have been processed.”

Secondary market prices for these issues are currently much higher than the original retail price. At the time of this writing, the cheapest listing for a Liberty Medal found during a quick search on eBay was $130, a mark-up of more than 271%.

Well, can't really comment on the mint practices. It is what it is.

All I'll say is, don't fall for perceived scarcity, marketing hype, and atrocious so-called "artwork". Within a couple of months, the premiums will start to come down and everyone who bought one on the secondary market is going to feel a bit silly.

For $35, a wide variety of circulated 19th century coinage with actual artistry and historical significance are available.

I've seen these sets listed already for $275. For $250 - $300, you can buy extremely attractive coins of almost every silver or copper series (and even some gold) in high circulated grades (or, for early 20th century, sometimes high uncirculated grades).

Instead of this modern mess, why not consider something numismatically important?

Again, this isn't to denigrate your choices - buy what you like of course.... but maybe reconsider?

Well, can't really comment on the mint practices. It is what it is.

All I'll say is, don't fall for perceived scarcity, marketing hype, and atrocious so-called "artwork". Within a couple of months, the premiums will start to come down and everyone who bought one on the secondary market is going to feel a bit silly.

For $35, a wide variety of circulated 19th century coinage with actual artistry and historical significance are available.

I've seen these sets listed already for $275. For $250 - $300, you can buy extremely attractive coins of almost every silver or copper series (and even some gold) in high circulated grades (or, for early 20th century, sometimes high uncirculated grades).

Instead of this modern mess, why not consider something numismatically important?

Again, this isn't to denigrate your choices - buy what you like of course.... but maybe reconsider?

This certainly make some sense. For the numbers that you're speaking about, you would able to land some beautiful vintage medals. Some special stuff.

I've always left the modern stuff to the guys that want to do modern stuff. I know that I probably won't live long enough to make a profit on that stuff. Sure, occasionally something breaks out. But it generally falls back to earth, burning on re-entry. Remember 1973 S Brown Ikes at 145.00 ? I do, and made a pretty penny on them.

I feel your pain, you like the new medals. Buy them in three years.....

Paul

There appears to be a trend with the U.S. mint the past couple of years with manufacturing low mintage "medals." The reverse proof presidential coin sets last year all contained medals, and the mintage were quite low along with the respective presidential coins: Truman medal- 17,000; Eisenhower 17,000; Kennedy 50,000; L.B.J 25,000.

This years Liberty medals of 12,500 for each (W) and (S) mints.

We also have the Reagan reverse proof this year which will contain a medal- remains to be seen how many will be produced but probably no more than 50,000 and perhaps less.

What's discouraging with these medals is that there are no price guides I can find that list these...probably because they are medals; but I'd think there would be at least some guide that lists the value? If there isn't any guide down the road that collectors can track these then it's probable in 5-10 years they'll just be interesting bullion rounds worth a bit over spot. Maybe.

It is really odd the medals would be this popular. Traditionally they have been "the redheaded step children" to coins. In other words, only a limited number of collectors were interested in them.

I have not seen the medals that were issued with the limited edition presidential dollar sets with the "limited edition" reverse Proof dollars. If they are the same as the medals that were issued with the Theodore and Franklin Roosevelt sets, they are remakes of designs that were issued previously, stuck in the Silver Eagle size in .999 silver. Older medals with the same designs are available, but usually in bronze.

An alternative for those modern presidents - Truman, Eisenhower, Kennedy, Johnson and Reagan - could be their official inaugural medals. I collect those medals in bronze. Starting with Kennedy, the silver models were issued in much greater numbers. A lot of value in those pieces is in their melt value because they can contain a few ounces of silver. The bronze medals are not that expensive.

The mint fulfillment contractor made substantial capacity and response changes, so that might have been why so many orders could be completed in a few minutes. This is a lot like the Amazon.com approach to demand capacity.

As for "Can someone explain to me how the U.S.Mint can sell out of 100,000 medals in less than six minutes with an order limit of one coin per 'household'." There were 100,000 distinct orders placed and confirmed....seems odd for a medal, but many must have thought it was attractive and the price reasonable.

I am quite curious about these as well. Because they are termed "medal", I am wondering if they are worth holding on to or just going with the market hype. The "medal" seems pretty though.

It is really odd the medals would be this popular. Traditionally they have been "the redheaded step children" to coins. In other words, only a limited number of collectors were interested in them.

I have not seen the medals that were issued with the limited edition presidential dollar sets with the "limited edition" reverse Proof dollars. If they are the same as the medals that were issued with the Theodore and Franklin Roosevelt sets, they are remakes of designs that were issued previously, stuck in the Silver Eagle size in .999 silver. Older medals with the same designs are available, but usually in bronze.

An alternative for those modern presidents - Truman, Eisenhower, Kennedy, Johnson and Reagan - could be their official inaugural medals. I collect those medals in bronze. Starting with Kennedy, the silver models were issued in much greater numbers. A lot of value in those pieces is in their melt value because they can contain a few ounces of silver. The bronze medals are not that expensive.

Easy, while not a coin it GOES WITH A COIN, the Gold Version. So, to have a complete "mini-set" you need one each of the silvers now. And at only 12.5k each that means that only 1/2 of the gold owners can complete this "mini-set" of all 3. If you didn't see this coming I don't know what to tell you. That said, even I didn't think they'd get as high as they are. My guess though is that raw ones will stay above $100 even after the craze dies down

Just for clarity in my above statement. The 1/2 of gold buyers being able to get a complete mini-set is if all 12.5k of both mints stayed together and every one of the 2 silver sets went to gold HR owners. Realistically what, maybe only say 5k (10%) gold owners will be able to have a completed mini-set with both medals to go with their gold. And I bet more than 10% will want the 3 coin mini-set.

And what's all this talk of 100k produced and 100k orders fulfilled? There were only 12.5k made of each mint so 25k total medals of both mints. Some bought only 1 and some bought 1 of each while others bought the max HH limit of 2 each so there was what, maybe 8-10k orders fulfilled tops, and probably less.

+1

No complaints- these are very beautiful in hand, and I look forward to the 2017 "medals" in the series. Was definitely an adrenaline rush, those few minutes, trying to acquire mine before they sold out. Hopefully these, and subsequent releases will fuel a bit of interest in medals with collectors.