• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1928-D Doubled Die?

6 posts in this topic

Just picked this out of a local dealer's stock. 1928-D Mercury Dime with what appears to be a l doubled date. Here are some pictures if someone can confirm what I see. I've done a little research and found that there is only one ddo listed for 1928 by Wexler, but no accompanying images.

164065.jpg.92ea1cc2e9c0b17daca4cf9fe39fb715.jpg

What you have looks like machine doubling. I have one that is very similar but is a 1919 dime. Coincidently I bought this knowing it was a machine doubled 1919 minutes before I found the real deal.

1919-Mercury-Dime-Obverse.jpg

1919-Machine-Doubling.jpg

When you look at the first nine of the date, you can see that it's not as wide as the normal nine should be. The top of it, around the 1 o'clock area, is unaffected. That small section shows how wide (thick) the nine should be. So when you see the rest of the nine, being more narrow (thinner), you can see that it is classic machine doubling. The dime was re-struck with a die 'rebound'.

Paul

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Both examples show strike doubling, aka machine doubling, ejection doubling, etc. This is not caused by a "bounce" from the die, but rather a slight twist as the dies separate. This results is a sheared effect in which the secondary image is shallow and completely flat as it faces the viewer.

There's no premium in such coins, as the action is random and fairly common.

Thank you for the replies and photos, great information here! I've only been collecting for a few years, and I have a tenedncy to pick up errors and oddities when I come across them. Although this may have no collector premium, I think it's a good piece for me to study since I have a hard time determining the differences between these strike and die errors.