• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cast or struck? Whatcha think?

13 posts in this topic

Porous - cast! Sharp denticles - struck! juggle.gif Oh hell, I don't know! - Put it on your finger and whack it with a pencil! Then you tell us... popcorn.gif

Hoot

Porous - cast! Sharp denticles - struck! juggle.gif Oh hell, I don't know! - Put it on your finger and whack it with a pencil! Then you tell us.
Now you see my problem. This is the best looking of a dozen or so coins this guy has on EBay right now, and I'm too dang cheap to pay for the privilege of seeing it up close without being confident that it's legit.

I'm waiting for a response to my inquiry about weight. confused-smiley-013.gif

Now you see my problem. This is the best looking of a dozen or so coins this guy has on EBay right now, and I'm too dang cheap to pay for the privilege of seeing it up close without being confident that it's legit.

I'm waiting for a response to my inquiry about weight. confused-smiley-013.gif

I can't really tell if the coin is struck of cast. If I had to choose I'd go with struck but there's no way that would be a big money wager.

You can always pay with a credit card and chargeback if it's fake and there's no refund.

-JamminJ

Ah! I understand your dilemma now. That's an auction worth passing on. How common/rare are those? What's the province, date and KM #? I tried looking it up, but failed. sorry.gif

Hoot

How common/rare are those? What's the province, date and KM #?

It's Korean under Japanese occupation 10 chon coin. Pictures in the catalog aren't clear enough for me to determinie but it's either KM1127 (1906), KM1133 (1907) or KM1139 (1908-10). Best guess is the date is year 10 which makes it the KM1127, valued at $25 in VF.

-JamminJ

Thanks JamminJ! blush.gif I was lost (as usual). It would help if Krauss had a list of denominational epithets to cross-reference with country.

Hoot

It would help if Krauss had a list of denominational epithets to cross-reference with country.

Your wish is Krause's command! There is such a list on page XLII of the 32nd Edition of the 1901-present cataog.

-JamminJ

It would help if Krauss had a list of denominational epithets to cross-reference with country.

Your wish is Krause's command! There is such a list on page XLII of the 32nd Edition of the 1901-present cataog.

-JamminJ

yeahok.gif

flamed.gif

insane.gif

makepoint.gif

Hoot

I think it is struck with a bad picture.

I don't know if it is fake, but I've purchased a bunch of nice struck circulated fakes over the past few months. (Yes, I knew they were fake when I bought them).

I've purchased a bunch of nice struck circulated fakes over the past few months.
Just curious Greg - how high are you willing to go on good fakes? I generally try to stay under ten bucks unless its a really exceptional example.

Jamminj - your'e right on the date and KM# being claimed for that piece of 893censored-thumb.gif

I've purchased a bunch of nice struck circulated fakes over the past few months.
Just curious Greg - how high are you willing to go on good fakes? I generally try to stay under ten bucks unless its a really exceptional example.

It depends. For the Japanese stuff I've been buying, I've been paying under $1 for the well struck stuff and under $.50 for the cast stuff. I've avoided the stuff that looks so fake that even a novice would know. Of course, these coins are supposed to be silver and aren't...

If it were a US coin, I'd pay a lot more. I wouldn't mind having an Omega High Relief Saint. Those were going for $700+ last time I heard. A good Bust or Flowing Hair dollar (no reeded edges please) might be worth a couple hundred to me. Same for a Stella $4. I'd have no interest in bad fakes or coins that I could buy without hesitation (S-VDB, 3-Leg, $2.5 & $5 Indians, 14-D 1c, etc).

I've seen some decent Trade dollars go for $30-$60.

Jamminj - your'e right on the date and KM# being claimed for that piece of 893censored-thumb.gif

Don't hold back, Roy, tell us how you really feel!