• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1996-W Dime Mint Errors?

26 posts in this topic

So, I recently purchased a 1996 West Point Mint Roosevelt Dime and it appears as though both the obverse and reverse were struck through debris or the dies were damaged. It's a very interesting piece so I will attempt to post some pictures of it here later.

But I'm also curious to know if anyone has seen a 96-W dime error before or if NGC has graded any. I suspect with the high quality strikes and low mintage of these coins, erors are few and far between.

Sounds like post-strike damage caused when the coin was sealed in the plastic square. The edges of the plastic are bonded together by opposing metal plates with raised lines on them, and sometimes in the mint set packaging room a coin ends up between the metal plates.

Is there a place where the plastic is messed up also? If so, that is where the coin was during the sealing operation.

TD

I'm guessing it was simply damaged by the equipment that seals the coins.

I've never seen an error on this date and quality control was superb.

Negative ghost rider..the mint cello was perfectly sealed with no marks or damage...I've seen machine damage, NGC body bagged a 2004D 50c I thought was an error. This 1996W however, appears to be a real as struck error. Below the date are two sort of triangular depressions, and on the reverse right of the torch where the "." is supposed to be it looks like the die broke apart at that high point. I'm having difficulties loading the images from my phone but I will keep trying. Thanks for the replies everyone.

Here are a couple of pictures. I had to resize them so I'm unsure how the quality is.

Obverse shows marks (strike thru, planchet flaw?) below the date but not protruding into the rim, Reverse die break(?) to the right of torch at end of UNUM, above DIME and below AMERICA, where there should be a dot.

What do you say?

163737.jpg.bfa29c3531d07ffbdb31c9005e3879e9.jpg

163738.jpg.d1a7174049210dc01748cab2d6c37032.jpg

I wouldn't describe the reverse error as small. It's highly visible with the naked eye. I'm really mostly curious if there are certified errors from this year and mint. If this is the first and only 96W mint error, then I believe the value could be pretty high considering the low mintage and high quality minting of these coins.

I'll be submitting this one to NGC with some others next week. But I'll continue to try and get better quality images before I send it out.

There has to be a demand for that type of error, for there to be substantial value. Wish each strike through being a unique item, there is probably limited interest regardless of date/mint/packaging/time of day/season/price of bologna, etc.

It's not a waste of money for me, I enjoy this coin and likely will keep it for quite a while.

I can assure you there aren't many just like it. The quality control on thesewas just great and major errors of all types are scarce.

I wouldnt spend the money grading it as its a minor error. As already stated, the QC on this coin was good and its easy to find nice ones already in holders.

These are the best images I could get with my cell phone and magnifier.

Your dime shows strike thru mint errors, and individually, they are probably too small to designate. Having a number of them all over the coin might change the story.

There is a 1999-D Prooflike cent with a bold strike through in the obverse field, which NGC did not recognize due to small size.

http://www.dmrarecoins.com/inventory.php#!/1999-D-1C-NGC-MS66-RD-PL-LINCOLN-CENT~-MONSTER-PROOFLIKE-MIRRORS/p/68871143/category=9990168