• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coin photography tips/help

13 posts in this topic

This question is for those who do photography for coins, could I get some links for camera and lenses and stands that I would need to take pictures? I want to start taking good photos. Also links on lightning if possible

Thanks!

First, read Mark Goodman's "Numismatic Photography". It's on Amazon, etc.

Second, read it again. Lens more important than camera. Lighting, lighting, lighting.

Even if you don't get into photographing coins, you'll learn a lot about judging photographs of coins which will enhance your coin buying experience.

Hi,

I found this page.....

Coin photography......

Might be something of use.

Paul

Very interesting page! I'm not fond of many of their example pics, but they do have some that are good.

Over on CCF there are many folks who can provide assistance in getting started in coin photography. Most folks over there are using bellows systems rather than standard macro lenses because they are cheaper, more flexible, and can give a better result. There is a thread describing setups that can be put together for <$400 (including the camera!!) that can take pics to rival systems costing many thousands.

Go to any online camera store and search for copy stand, but first, buy the book, goodman's that is as noted above. That is how I started and I followed what he said in the book. The rest is just practice and experimenting and going back to the book for advice. One crucial point, you get what you pay for. If you want the best images, you will have to have excellent equipment, there is no way around it.

Best, HT

1810halfPCGSAU58_zps62de2135.jpg

Go to any online camera store and search for copy stand, but first, buy the book, goodman's that is as noted above. That is how I started and I followed what he said in the book. The rest is just practice and experimenting and going back to the book for advice. One crucial point, you get what you pay for. If you want the best images, you will have to have excellent equipment, there is no way around it.

Best, HT

Let me just note here, "excellent" is not the same as "expensive"...

Hey Ray, I'm gonna start with the basics such as getting a camera that can focus on a coin up close since my phone and cameras can't, then I'm gonna buy more lamps or a illuminated panel since I like the idea of it!

As for results I'll post some in a bit, I'm away on a moving trip so I'm nowhere near my coins or any equipment

Hey Ray, I'm gonna start with the basics such as getting a camera that can focus on a coin up close since my phone and cameras can't...

Don't get a stop-gap system. Know what's available for your budget. Tell us what you want to spend and you'll get recommendations that fit that budget. If you find a point-and-shoot which can focus on coins and later realize that the camera manufacturer neuters the focusing so that it only works on the shortest focal length of the lens, which makes it hard to light your coins, you won't be happy.

That's actually plenty of $ to put together a very decent system, based on used equipment. Here's what I would recommend:

Canon Rebel XS DSLR: $125 body only

Pentax Auto Bellows: $100

Nikon 75mm EL-Nikkor Lens: $50

Camera and lens adapters: $15

Small Tripod: $50

Two IKEA Jansjo gooseneck LED lamps: $20

Total $360

This will be a full-manual system, but the excellent software that comes with the camera (make sure you get the disk) allows you to tether the camera to the computer. You can view the coin live on-screen for framing and focusing, adjust most camera parameters, then snap the shot with your mouse. The image downloads automatically to your computer and into Canon's excellent editing software for adjusting levels, cropping, and downsizing.