• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NGC AU53 - 1911-D $5 Indian

22 posts in this topic

Hello All,

Greatly respect your help.

I am just starting the $5 Indian set and I have an offer for 1911-D $5 Eagle Indian Head NGC AU 53 for $1,498.

It seems to be a good offer, should I take it?

I really like the coin, very clean obverse and reverse, in old NGC holder, better than those I have seen in even a grade above.

May be I can turn around and sell it in a few months for profit?

Question:

1. Is this a good deal for $1,498? Seems below (market to me) - your opinion?

2. Will I be be able to sell it in ebay etc for a tidy profit? things are selling for $2k+

3. Can I safely seek higher grade on the coin? How? Any strategy? a 58 doubles the price!

Welcome to the forum.

I have a few questions, which I hope will help:

Upon what basis do you think the coin is a good deal?

Have you seen it in hand?

If they are really selling at $2000+, why would someone sell you one for $1498?

Why would you think it might grade higher than AU 53 upon a re-grade?

Are you an accomplished grader?

I look forward to your answers.

I won the auction at heritage on this item.

Its selling for $2k retail, in ebay and other places. Pcgs coin facts says the fair market value is $2k.

No, I am not a coin expert.

I have the coin on hand and it looks good to me based on my experience putting together a $2.5 indian set fully and comparing this with 16 other Indians I have.

Help please.

I won the auction at heritage on this item.

Its selling for $2k retail, in ebay and other places. Pcgs coin facts says the fair market value is $2k.

No, I am not a coin expert.

I have the coin on hand and it looks good to me based on my experience putting together a $2.5 indian set fully and comparing this with 16 other Indians I have.

Help please.

In many cases, auction prices realized are more indicative of true value, than published guide prices or asking/listed prices form a seller.

I am glad you're happy with the coin.

If it stood a good chance to upgrade, chances are that would have sold for a higher price than it did.

Just to add to what Mark said...

Are the eBay prices asks or completed sales? Take the former with a huge grain of salt as those coins may be sitting there for months. If the latter, then yes, it is possible you could realize a similar price for your coin, although this will be harder if you don't have a history of positive feedback.

Ebay auctions i see are completed sales. Not much number grades (all details grades) sold in this coin 1911-D $5 Indian Head gold.

A coin shop in my city is making a deal to buy it at $1,750.

Even if buy it, now I can turn around and sell it for 1,750.

My bigger question is, is it a good date and mint mark for the price, I would just keep it to myself. Whats u r opinion on that?

So you went to a Heritage online auction, six guns a' blazin on a rare indian half eagle and you don't know anything about it? And furthermore, got a good deal on it..

Some folks have all the luck!

If you got a good deal and the coin looks nice in hand, then by all means keep it. We have no idea what you collect (other than aforementioned quarter eagles) or what your motivation for keeping it OR selling it would be.

Well----a pleasant EF with a field crater and weak mintmark. If you like the coin, then keep it. Just an opinion.

Wow! It looks like its just an EF,not even a AU. So no point in sending over.. for better than au 53?

Well, if thats the case, I would rather sell and make few hundred bucks.

Any other opinions?

I am basing my decision just on the info from here.

Wow! It looks like its just an EF,not even a AU. So no point in sending over.. for better than au 53?

Any other opinions?

If you're going to make decisions based solely upon the opinions of strangers, you shouldn't be buying coins in the first place.

Any other opinions?

You should be basing your decision on whether you LIKE the coin. If you don't like it then go sell the piece for a few hundred bucks, count yourself LUCKY and come back here, ask questions and get educated BEFORE you buy your next coin. Most, if not all, of us usually end up on the wrong end of things like this.

jom

If you purchased for $1500 and have a (real) offer for $1750, then you did fine under any circumstances.

If you have a completed quarter eagle set, then you have spent roughly $10,000 on coins already (plus or minus depending upon on eye appeal, grade, etc.).

Published values for coins, gray sheet, etc are complete nonsense in my opinion. The only real value is what someone will pay, and thus the only real reliable gauge of value is/are recent published sold prices from the likes of Ebay, Heritage, etc. From these you will see outliers of course but if the coin is common enough (like gold Indians) you should be able to get a pretty realistic price.

Good luck with the collection.

It depends on the grade of your coins, but an AU58 1911 strong D is 5-6K alone, so it sounds like $8300 is a good number for the complete set of gold quarter eagles.

Ive thought about making myself the same set for some time, but timing is not right for me. Glad you could get it accomplished!

IMHO, your coin will grade ALL DAY LONG as an AU at ANY TPGS! Loss of luster yet full wing feathers on the shoulder.

RWB and I have been numismatists for many, many years. I will not speak for him but I do understand his grade. When we were learning to grade (way before TPGS's) many would have called it XF.