• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Unknow Lincoln

12 posts in this topic

I've been hearing about the 1943 D bronze Lincoln for years and after seeing that some of my collector friends knew about it but didn't know much, I checked it out today. Little did I know what kind of surprise I was in for! First and foremost is that there is only one, I repeat ONLY one known and it is MS64! Second was the 1.7 million dollar price tag. I bet if this Lincoln were up for auction again anytime soon, it would fetch over 2 million!

http://www.coinlink.com/News/us-coins/unique-bronze-1943-d-lincoln-cent-sold-for-1-7-million-by-legend/

http://www.pcgs.com/News/Pcgs-certified-1943-d-Bronze-Cent-Sold-For-17-Million

163519.jpg.b578fd69404d430245bc0b3424445a2d.jpg

When I worked for Harlan J. Berk in Chicago we had a SERIOUS error coin collector who once inquired about completing the six-piece set of 1943-PDS Bronze and 1944-PDS steel cents. For all I know he is still a customer. He might have ended up with it.

TD

I bet if this Lincoln were up for auction again anytime soon, it would fetch over 2 million!

Why would you predict this?

Vastly overpriced for an off-metal error.

What would you consider a reasonable price? Many of the 1943 P & S bronze realize anywhere from $50K--$350K which seems overly pricey to me considering they are error coins.

For example this 1943 S AU55 which sold for $211,500

http://coins.ha.com/itm/lincoln-cents/1943-s-1c-struck-on-a-bronze-planchet-au55-pcgs-secure/a/1231-5267.s

And this1943 AU58 which sold for $305,500

http://coins.ha.com/itm/lincoln-cents/1943-1c-struck-on-a-bronze-planchet-au58-pcgs-secure-cac/a/1231-5266.s?ic3=ViewItem-Auction-Archive-BrowseThisAuction-120115

I bet if this Lincoln were up for auction again anytime soon, it would fetch over 2 million!

Why would you predict this?

Because they buyer spent a lot of time and effort to buy it from the original owner according to the articles I've read. When and IF he ever decides to sell it, there is bound to be die hard Lincoln collector who a wants one of a kind "Unique" coin and would be willing to spend that kind on money. Also, coins like the 1913 Liberty nickel have historically resold at well over 20%. Rumor has it Samuel Brown who worked for the mint department, secretly and without permission minted all 5 himself!

:makepoint:

Absent the publicity factor of 1943 bronze cent errors, maybe $1,000 would be reasonable. With the publicity (of long standing) factor, possibly $50,000 to an interested collector of such material.

Were these off-metal errors less visually evident - such as a 1944 cent struck on a 1940 alloy planchet - the value might be only a few dollars if anyone was interested at all.

I just realized the "Prominent Southwestern Businessman" who bought the coin from Laura Sperber my have paid more then he normally would to help the "Unnamed Charity" causes...and a sizable tax right off? My question is how were all the connections made, not that it really matters. Wonder how he found out about 1943 coins up for sale.

"The anonymous collector who formerly owned the coin "donated it to a charitable organization so they could sell it with all of the proceeds going to the charity," according to Andy Skrabalak of Angel Dee's Coins and Collectibles in Woodbridge, Virginia who acted as agent on behalf of the former owner."

I.E.: Buy at an inflated price, then donate to a charity and deduct the cost as if it were FMV. That can help a wealthy individual save on income taxes against capital gains. Happens all the time.