• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Civil War Prisoner exchange 8 Reale

3 posts in this topic

Like many of you, I get the call from friends when they come across old coins. I just went through a quantity of Flying Eagle and Indian Head cents for a buddy. Nothing that will make his retirement any better, but this Mexico 8 Reale was interesting. The reverse has been altered to read:

Miles Bacon

Captured

at Athens, Ala.

Sept. 25th, 1864

Exchanged

at Vicksburg, Miss.

Nov. 19th, 1864

Was this just a soldier's souvenir? Any comments on this type of "coin/token" would be passed on to my friend. He is a descendent of Miles Bacon. I found no info online in a search of this name. Thanks, Mark

bacon2_zpspeg9d92k.jpg

bacon3_zpsaydoglad.jpg

bacon4_zps6enrzevm.jpg

Personal memento of surviving. What would Miles Bacon's descendants think of it?

Can't bring home any info on bacon, but that is a very, very neat piece. It seems to me that there are websites that catalog civil war soldiers. I just seem to remember someone was able to come up with a lot of info about someone due to such a site.

Paul