• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Letter about cut-canceled dies - San Francisco

10 posts in this topic

That's interesting. I've always had multiple errors in scanning OCR and I just thought the process is what it is. I didn't know the software was tuneable.

I can't talk now, I've got a 1900 Liberty nickel die I'm trying to repair. I'm going to over-run the world with 1900 nickels !!!

Paul

Great job! You don't know how much OCR has improved until you compare 10 years ago (99% or 1 error per 100 characters) vs. today with several 9s... but it always helps to tweak it to the specific input.

The OCR software was modified to better recognize manual typewriter text, and to shrink the "halo" surrounding carbon copy and press copy typescript. Some of the subroutines come from astronomy software toolkits. These are very good at separating real from spurious image forms. Another aspect of the SW is comparison of image forms with restricted character sets.

Ingenious! Is Tesseract the OCR software?

Thanks for that information. I often work with non-Latin OCRed text that has an accuracy of about 90%. Is the source for any of that old SW posted on-line?

And more importantly, I think your application of this technology for searching old mint records is fascinating! Please keep posting your new insights.