• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1795 Half Dime

7 posts in this topic

Friend in Iowa sent this and asked me opinion. I am on the road but wanted to pull out the information to try and match it to a die. I am not 100% sold it is authentic yet obviously but nothing screams fake on it (at least to me but I could easily be corrected).

Pictures attached.

163375.jpg.8f6cac71b74fb7a12e7b35875651f735.jpg

163376.jpg.f271aec0d23e94bfefe2570e753e7d91.jpg

It looks like the LM-8. I don't know what it is exactly, but something about the lettering bothers me.

Sure tough to tell much from a photo though.

Paul

I agree with LM-8 (Has to be an early die state though before the major die crack formed from the rim through the Y to the nose), Nothing is jumping out at me from those photo that would make me think fake, but the facial profile looks a little odd. Lettering looks OK to me.

It looks harshly cleaned to me, not very collectible as such.

This is a 1795 half dime, so it has to be pretty bad to be "not very collectable." These coins don't grow on trees, and you are lucky these days to find ONE at a local show.

I'll agree that it has probably been cleaned, but it's still worth over $1,000, (probably $2,000) if it is genuine, even if it has been cleaned.

As for the odd look, it might be due to the off-center nature of the photograph.

It looks harshly cleaned to me, not very collectible as such.

This is a 1795 half dime, so it has to be pretty bad to be "not very collectable." These coins don't grow on trees, and you are lucky these days to find ONE at a local show.

I'll agree that it has probably been cleaned, but it's still worth over $1,000, (probably $2,000) if it is genuine, even if it has been cleaned.

As for the odd look, it might be do to the off-center nature of the photograph.

That's what I was thinking.