• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1815/2 Bust Half

14 posts in this topic

I've been after a nice 1815/2 for awhile. What do you think of this new pick up.

Make a guess on the grade.

d829c2ff-4bc5-4817-b857-f0de4e47239d_zps2gjosmil.jpg

e6a7ae9a-5b3f-4111-a3af-e8266715ac2c_zpsnigaoktb.jpg

It looks a little dark but not too bad and I still like it for it's originality.

I like the hair detail on the forehead beneath the cap.

Honest wear on the cheek of Miss Liberty and on the eagle's head and top of the wings.

Looks like an XF 40.

Congrats on the purchase! Any time you can find an attractive, problem free, original 1815 like that, you've done well - and yours is quite attractive.

In terms of wear, I think yours has slightly less than mine. Mine is graded NGC EF-45. However, I'm not seeing any luster in your pictures (may just be the pictures, though).

If there is decent luster, I'd grade yours AU-50. If there isn't sufficient luster, I think yours is 45.

Here is mine, for comparison:

JPA950%20obverse_zpsrelide9f.jpg

JPA950%20reverse_zpssiotpxh2.jpg

I see plenty of luster ... not sure how some of you aren't seeing it? hm(shrug)

Below are the images with the balance/levels fixed. The original images are FAR too dark, which is clear from how dark the NGC white prongs are.

You'd do yourself a great service to have a coin of this caliber properly photographed.

(thumbs u

-Brandon

1815_half_brightness_levels_fixed_zpszb91zs38.jpg

I see plenty of luster ... not sure how some of you aren't seeing it? hm(shrug)

Below are the images with the balance/levels fixed. The original images are FAR too dark, which is clear from how dark the NGC white prongs are.

You'd do yourself a great service to have a coin of this caliber properly photographed.

(thumbs u

-Brandon

1815_half_brightness_levels_fixed_zpszb91zs38.jpg

Brandon,

Thanks for the help. I agree. I used the sellers images to post.

Below are some iPhone pics taken in sunlight. As you said there is a good amount of luster in the protected areas around Liberty's cap, curls and periphery. Reverse also shows luster in protected areas.

71094182-773d-4c43-bc8f-5575974ea016_zpsu8qpir4q.jpg

IMG_0053_zps2l2xvfin.jpg

You guys are good. I'm at times amazed by the ability of Message Board members to see through some not very good pics and still manage to nail a grade.

Thanks for the comments and for taking time to look at this post. As the majority of posters guessed, she is an AU50. I'm very happy after spending several years and a lot of unsuccessful bids to finally land this nice Bust Half.

BTW for Bust Half enthusiasts, this is an O-101a with both die cracks present on the Reverse.

1815O_zpsstzjcegh.jpg

Carl

As I posted prior I really like your coin , I have a 1818/7 with a similar tone.

Mark,

You're right. With the white balance corrected by Brandon, Both coins have similar toning.

Great looking 1818/7.

Carl