• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does anyone here focus primarily on gold coins?

23 posts in this topic

Post a favorite U.S. gold coin from your collection.

Since I was a YN I have been facinated by U.S. gold coins. Maybe it was because they never circulated during my lifetime, or maybe it was the buzz around the auction table when someone had a gold coin to sell at the coin club?

Anyway, here is my humble U.S. gold type set:

http://coins.www.collectors-society.com/registry/coins/SetSlideshow.aspx?PeopleSetID=165337

As a type collectot I've been collecting a bit of everything over the last 55+ years, but for much a lost decade I've become a bit of gold bug. Finishing my NGC gold type coin registry set was big milestone for me. I have a lot of coins that I really like, but this one was the last peice I needed to complete the gold type set, the 1796 No Stars Quarter Eagle. This is the toughest type coin in the entire United States series.

1796NOST250O-1.jpg1796NOST250R-1.jpg

BTW You have a nice nice gold type set going there!

My first gold coin was an 1881 half-eagle purchased as a YN in the early to mid 1970's. I think it cost me about $105 at the time. Though that seems inexpensive, it took a lot of hours working at $2.10/hour busting suds to purchase that bad girl! Today, I still own this coin and had it graded at MS-62 by PCGS. Since then my gold-fever temperature has only risen. Here are a few of my links plus my latest acquisition only purchased a few weeks ago. My best gold coins are in my 7070 type set.

http://coins.www.collectors-society.com/registry/coins/SetGallery.aspx?PeopleSetID=89839

http://coins.www.collectors-society.com/registry/coins/SetGallery.aspx?PeopleSetID=73886

2768784_Full_Obv.jpg2768784_Full_Rev.jpg

If you look, the Grant Dollar has some interesting clash marks. The Grant is graded NGC MS-62. BTW csdot nice set!

Gary

My first gold coin was an 1881 half-eagle purchased as a YN in the early to mid 1970's. I think it cost me about $105 at the time. Though that seems inexpensive, it took a lot of hours working at $2.10/hour busting suds to purchase that bad girl!

And today a minimum wage worker putting in that same number of hours would have $367.50 to put toward one. Not a whole lot of difference in work effort required to get the same coin after over 30 years.

I have yet to delve into the world of gold coins but have thought about going after a few as a type for a long time.

I love many of the designs, especially the St. Gaudens. Someday, I will break down and buy a few.

Very nice type set you have going there and I especially like your St. Gaudens Date Set. That is a wonderful set that is more than halfway completed. I like the type set, as well.

Way to go!

You have one heck of a good looking set so far, great pictures.

Here is one of my favorites with an interesting story....

A common date popular $20 Liberty or Coronet Double Eagle with a mintage of 1,874,584 pieces.. Double Eagles were produced by the millions. Large quantities of double eagles were melted in the 1930s by the government after they were called in under President Franklin D. Roosevelt. Although many of the double eagles exported in bulk in the late 19th and early 20th centuries were melted—records show that most sent to the United Kingdom were recoined into sovereigns—millions remained in banks. Large quantities of double eagles were found in the vaults of European banks beginning in the 1940s, and were placed on the numismatic market.

This example was one of the lucky ones that made its way back from Europe via gold importer John Dowd from Albany NY and I was fortunate enough to buy it from him in the 1970s. Today it resides in a PCGS Secure MS64 slab.

163157.jpg.4fd03a19dd389fd4e2a04b16920ba198.jpg

163158.jpg.551b8aa8376d034c4e326ca0a27d8a4c.jpg

Yes

The Indian Quarter Eagles spurred my interest in gold. I was thrilled to complete my set just a few years ago.

Here is my most recent acquisition.

PS Bill - what a coin!

163159.jpg.ff36e04cb114b3db63948237879835eb.jpg

Thanks for the kinds words, and I enjoy viewing your collections.

Bill- that is a beautiful 1796 eagle. I was looking at an early half eagle recently, of same general style and imagining myself selling my Saints to fund a purchase.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/371655149417?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

A common date popular $20 Liberty or Coronet Double Eagle with a mintage of 1,874,584 pieces.. Double Eagles were produced by the millions. Large quantities of double eagles were melted in the 1930s by the government after they were called in under President Franklin D. Roosevelt. Although many of the double eagles exported in bulk in the late 19th and early 20th centuries were melted—records show that most sent to the United Kingdom were recoined into sovereigns—millions remained in banks. Large quantities of double eagles were found in the vaults of European banks beginning in the 1940s, and were placed on the numismatic market.

This example was one of the lucky ones that made its way back from Europe via gold importer John Dowd from Albany NY and I was fortunate enough to buy it from him in the 1970s. Today it resides in a PCGS Secure MS64 slab.

Beautiful Liberty! I just checked out your registry set. Quite an impressive accomplishment. How long have you been collecting?

My first gold coin was an 1881 half-eagle purchased as a YN in the early to mid 1970's. I think it cost me about $105 at the time. Though that seems inexpensive, it took a lot of hours working at $2.10/hour busting suds to purchase that bad girl! Today, I still own this coin and had it graded at MS-62 by PCGS. Since then my gold-fever temperature has only risen. Here are a few of my links plus my latest acquisition only purchased a few weeks ago. My best gold coins are in my 7070 type set.

http://coins.www.collectors-society.com/registry/coins/SetGallery.aspx?PeopleSetID=89839

http://coins.www.collectors-society.com/registry/coins/SetGallery.aspx?PeopleSetID=73886

2768784_Full_Obv.jpg2768784_Full_Rev.jpg

If you look, the Grant Dollar has some interesting clash marks. The Grant is graded NGC MS-62. BTW csdot nice set!

Gary

Gary- great collection. Seems we have similar interests in coins and in areas or collecting.

Bill- that is a beautiful 1796 eagle.

That's not an eagle, it's a quarter eagle, MUCH tougher to find. Mintage of just a few hundred pieces. They made over 5,000 1796 eagles

Beautiful Liberty! I just checked out your registry set. Quite an impressive accomplishment. How long have you been collecting?

CSdot,

Thanks for your comments. I've been a collector since I was a paper boy in the late 1950s collecting forty cents in change from each of the customers on my route. I've been a serious collector from the late 60s to the early 90s. During that time I purchased most the gold coins that are in my Registry sets today. All but one were purchased raw and have been certified in the last three years or so. I jumped back in with both feet again in 2011 and concentrated on my half-eagle set, purchasing over 20 pieces in the last 5 years.

That's not an eagle, it's a quarter eagle, MUCH tougher to find. Mintage of just a few hundred pieces. They made over 5,000 1796 eagles

I stand corrected. That makes it even that much more of an impressive addition to Bill's collection.

I stand corrected. That makes it even that much more of an impressive addition to Bill's collection.

That coin was the "capstone piece" to my type collection.

The total estimated population of 1796 No Star Quarter Eagles is estimated to be 80 to 100 pieces. A good many of them have problems which are either circulation or numismatic abuse related.

Oddly enough that piece is not my favorite gold coin. That goes to the 1795 Small Eagle Type half eagle that also in my collection. That piece was among the first gold coins that were issued by The United States. It's good deal more common as a type and brings a fraction of the price ... although "fraction" is a relative term. All of the early U.S. gold coins are tough, and some of them like the 1829 - 1834 Capped Bust Large Size gold half eagle are real sleepers. You find out how hard they are to find when you start shopping for one.

Nice looking set (thumbs u

Here are a couple of my all time favorites

1907-wire-indian.jpg

1907-High-Relief.jpg

Those two coins, together, are an entire collection in and of themselves. Extremely nice! :applause:

[Just an aside -- no US coin was ever made with a "wire edge." The label probably means "knife rim."]