• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Funky colored 1834 half cent

12 posts in this topic

I'd be interested to hear what you think happened to it and what you think it would be worth.

771174-1834halfco.jpg

771174-1834halfco.jpg.fcb11c2db3f2e4b903024145734e99c6.jpg

Interesting. Looks like it may have been exposed to something that partially bleached the coin. I'd put it around XF and greysheet lists it at $65. The coin has nice remaining detail.

Hoot

The dirt on the reverse makes me think it was buried at one time. The lighter areas might be where someone tried to clean it up and failed.

It clearly needs work, but it doesn't look beyond repair.

It looks like it has one of those skin cleansing face masks that women use 27_laughing.gif

Hayden, do you remember the chocolate medallions that had a metallic wrapper? It looks like it melted and bled through!

Chris

My guess was that somebody tried to recolor and it just didn't take in some areas. I'm going to see what acetone does to it.

Well, acetone shouldn't have any effect but you never know. It could react big time with some agent put on the surfaces.

That's what I wanted to see. There was no change after soaking over night, so my guess was probably wrong.

Greg, any suggestions on what could be done for it? My next step was going to be mineral oil to see if it would loosen the crud on the reverse.

That looks like corrosion to me. If it is you wont be able to remove it. I think the best thing is just to leave it alone.IMO.

It looks to me like it's been somewhat harshly cleaned at one time, then retoned in a weird way, maybe naturally, maybe through some intervention. The problem is compounded by it being an easy date to find. I think its realistic value is between $40 and $80 (retail and wholesale).

James