• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GTG Half Dime (REVEALED)

12 posts in this topic

Impossible to judge surfaces and luster with these pictures. The eye appeal looks good, although it looks rather dark in these pictures. If it is lighter in hand, with good luster, I'll bet it is quite attractive.

I think that the coin is Mint State, but without seeing the luster, it's impossible to go beyond that. If there is a lot of luster showing through the toning, you could be looking at a very high grade, like MS-66. If it's impaired because of the toning, you could be down to MS-61 or 62.

Two different posters indicated that they couldn't tell about the luster from the images. But it looks more than ample to me.

The color looks attractive and I don't see any conspicuous marks. However, I do see what look to be some rather large black spots on each side. Without those, I would have guessed 66 or 67. With them, I will guess 65 (or possibly 64).

I have one with similar toning that is graded 63 with a green bean.

I think this coin is at least a 64 , it has nice eye appeal .

Thank you to everyone who participated. I posted this coin because I didn't understand why it did not grade MS66 or better. The luster is all there in hand, and it is lighter. The spots did not jump out in hand like they do in the image, but that explanation completely makes sense to me and explains why the coin only graded what it did. I definitely appreciate all of the help and comments.

PCGS called this MS65. CAC liked it too.

"The spots did not jump out in hand like they do in the image, but that explanation completely makes sense to me and explains why the coin only graded what it did."

I do not think it is that simple. Contradictory examples exist. Is it how dark the toning is or is not? Is it how many or few black spots there are? Is it eye appeal or lack there of? Is it the thickness or thinness of the original surface (frost)? Or is it a combination of some or all of these qualities (and others not mentioned) weighed against one another?

http://coins.ha.com/itm/seated-half-dimes/1870-h10c-ms67-pcgs/a/1201-3932.s?type=NGC1201#