• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Interested in Your Opinions

20 posts in this topic

Has (2) negs in 200 transactions for AT. Coin is not slabbed and is better date. I would be cautious. Coin looks too bright to be true for .750 silver Trime.

Probably artificial. This dealer has neg feedback for it. Also has a certified anacs artificial on his feedback record also. I would not trust it. It is toned like a much newer silver coin that is 90% as opposed to this age.

I will reserve judgement as to it being real or not simply because I don't think his images truly reflect what the coin will look like in-hand. I say that because the colors appear to be too rich, not so much in an AT way, but in a Photo Shop way. These trimes can take on similar toning patterns, but without the coin in-hand, especially a PF coin, I would be cautious.

I will agree with Tom's assesment that it's hard to tell from the image. It looks somewhat NT to me, but I suspects some image manipulation.

I also want to point out that this is a type 3 trime and is 90% silver. Only the type 1 trimes were 75% silver.

It would be foolish to spend so much money on a raw coin like this one. If it will slab with PCGS or NGC it would probably already be in a holder.

I'd also say it looks NT-ish, but saturated by software manipulation. Probably much less dramatic in-hand.

Hoot

RGT: Oops, got me on the alloy. I forgot Type 3's were 90% and I just sold a MS64, 1872 Trime a month ago! I'm having another senior moment.

I knew that you knew better, but when you get old, sometimes you can't keep the facts straight. grin.gif

I would love to have an MS64 1872. In fact, I would love any 1872 in AU or better. I rarely find one for sale and they seem to be asking huge sums.

I spotted one on ebay in an NGC slab that was described as "proof like". It had a strong cameo appearance. Even if I could afford it I would be afraid it really was a proof and not worth nearly as many thousands of dollars as they were asking.

The toning looks great to me. One can never say for sure whether it's natural or artificial, but when all's said and done, I'd buy that coin!

I have attempted to bid on some of this seller's items before, but have yet to be successful.

James

My guess would be the colors are more "muted", and possibly enhanced a bit. I would also think the mirrors aren't quite reflective, but that's a hunch or a feeling I get from those images. Impossible to accurately judge that coin (depth of mirrors and overall quality) from pic's.

In the last few years of the Trime series, they minted so few coins that proof dies were used to make business strikes instead of making extra business strike dies. The 1872 coin (with 1950 mintage) that I recently sold and many others from this era are often very proof-like.

I think I would be worried about the grading of the coin! You have to wonder why such a super coin isn't in a PCGS or NGC or even an ANACS holder?????

My guess would be the colors are more "muted", and possibly enhanced a bit. I would also think the mirrors aren't quite reflective, but that's a hunch or a feeling I get from those images. Impossible to accurately judge that coin (depth of mirrors and overall quality) from pic's.

I will reserve judgement as to it being real or not simply because I don't think his images truly reflect what the coin will look like in-hand. I say that because the colors appear to be too rich, not so much in an AT way, but in a Photo Shop way. These trimes can take on similar toning patterns, but without the coin in-hand, especially a PF coin, I would be cautious.

thumbsup2.gif893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

It would be interesting to find out if this coin is really PF or PL since they could have been made on the same dies. The business strikes are 6X more scarce than the proofs for this date.

I am by far NOT a coin expert. But i will say this: This Image was touched up with a paint program on a PC. Such as Paint Shop Pro. ECT...................................................

To what extent I can not tell with not seeing the coin in hand.