• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RMW Collection of English and British Coins

5 posts in this topic

Shipment from NGC received and loaded

31 pieces were returned today from NGC of which 22 graded Ms 65 or better. So several competitive and custom sets have been updated, including George IV Shillng and farthing sets, Edward VII type set, and Maundy sets.

Several custom sets have been updated as well, including Proof and Pattern Farthings through the ages (added 1699 farthing in silver PR 65 and 1713 Pattern Farthing in silver PR 64+). Monarch Shilling set now has the William IV Shilling in 66 star and George II Old Head 1746 Shilling in PR 65. Monarch halfcrowns now includes 1820 George IV Halfcrown in Ms 66, 1902 Edward VII halfcrown in Ms 66. To the Monarch Penny set has been added a 1797 twopence in MS 64. I would appreciate any comments as to why it was not a 65. Sure looks like it to me. The William and Mary and William III set has been added to as well.

A couple of new custom sets will be added to shortly. Enjoy.

17432.jpg

See more journals by rmw

This is the twopence graded as an MS 64. Fields are 65 quality to me.

Maybe they dont lke the rims, dont know.

Other 64s I have seen have scuffs in the fields. This one doesnt.

As I am new to this stuff, do you think I should send it back in for another look?

Why not let it "mellow" a while as you gain more experience especially with what the authentication companies like and dislike. You have nothing to lose by being patient.

I think the idea to learn on this is to find out directly how they arrived at the grade. Quite often it seems that the key to the grade is the quality of the surfaces, although lustre and strike should also be included (but more difficult to quantify).