• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GTEA - Guess they eye appeal - newp

12 posts in this topic

Obverse: The white spots at top are worrisome (they look like there was something there, and it was removed). The black spots on her nose, in front of her face, and on the rim at k2 are highly distracting. The fingerprint around the date is an immediate turn off.

Reverse: There is a general spottiness which is unappealing, but the dark area at k2 looks a lot like corrosion or environmental damage.

Net (with 10 being the highest): 3.5

I'm not going to say its an ugly coin, it's just highly unattractive with potential problems.

Obverse: The white spots at top are worrisome (they look like there was something there, and it was removed). The black spots on her nose, in front of her face, and on the rim at k2 are highly distracting. The fingerprint around the date is an immediate turn off.

Reverse: There is a general spottiness which is unappealing, but the dark area at k2 looks a lot like corrosion or environmental damage.

Net (with 10 being the highest): 3.5

I'm not going to say its an ugly coin, it's just highly unattractive with potential problems.

I pretty much agree with this (above).

Though, I will say, I think the pictures are pretty poor to make much of a definitive judgment.

The big dark spots are a no-go for me.

Even if the color is nice, there's something wrong here. The rim lettering is VERY weak, even for a Peace dollar. In areas it fades away to nothing. It almost looks grainy, like ED.

As far as color goes, it will look way better than the pictures show. But I agree with physics on the distractions. The black spots being the worst for me, my eye goes straight to them when I look at. Post pics when you get it in hand, I'd like to see the color on it better.

Nick

Well what I found humerous was this seller offers professional coin photography services on ebay. All their pics have this look. I feel bad for slamming a seller I just got a nice coin from but hey, if they see it and it helps them maybe they can benefit from it. Coin isn't a monster but their pics are pretty bad.

I think the rim damage is more distracting than the spots turned out to be.

22.jpg

225.jpg

I could tell who you bought that from, because I also bought one from the same seller assuming the pics were hiding the true color. Looks like they were taken on a windowsill with the Death Valley (ok, Florida) sun at high noon. I got an album toned ms66 38-d.. Jeffry nickel for about 40 bucks. I haven't seen it yet but perhaps Monday.

I didn't comment because I assumed the coin would be way better than imaged, and I was waiting to find out first hand.

Someone spent more to have that coin put into plastic than the coin is worth. (...and no, it has no "eye appeal" to me.)

Someone spent more to have that coin put into plastic than the coin is worth. (...and no, it has no "eye appeal" to me.)

You could say this in about 90% of all newp threads. Grading costs would be 5x what they are if this wasn't the case.

One day I'm going to buy a peace dollar you approve of. For now, I'll take all the orange and green toned ones I can find. Got another gambler in the mail coming my way. I think its got some potential for reds and blues.

Those two spots near the eye and in the field under "L" are just awful. The rim damage is also a problem, and I still think there is some environmental damage (corrosion) on the reverse at "MERICA"...

It's pretty hacked up for an "MS63" grade. hm

I guess if you're happy with it for the $70 price tag, that's all that matters.

Those two spots near the eye and in the field under "L" are just awful. The rim damage is also a problem, and I still think there is some environmental damage (corrosion) on the reverse at "MERICA"...

It's pretty hacked up for an "MS63" grade. hm

I guess if you're happy with it for the $70 price tag, that's all that matters.

That reverse area around merica looks to be struck thorugh grease in hand. Theres no rim damage there though it looks it. Front rims different story. I would have 62'd this one, maybe even 61.