• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1882 5c - GTG #2

13 posts in this topic

Why are the pictures so "grainy" for all of these 3 GTG posts you have made??

I don't dare guess a grade on one of these three posts until reasonable pictures are posted.

hm

I don't dare guess a grade on one of these three posts until reasonable pictures are posted.

hm

I must have inadvertently messed them up when resizing the images. The originals do not look blurry. I will work to fix the issue ASAP.

hm

I concur about the grainy effect and the difficulty in assessing the coins, as a result.

I buy exclusively from imaged coins, so I have no problem with grading coins from images that are less than perfect. Less than perfect is pretty much the standard in my experience.

I can use the practice.

High quality images are scarce, and you do not really know whether they are high quality images until you see the coin in hand.

I buy exclusively from imaged coins, so I have no problem with grading coins from images that are less than perfect. Less than perfect is pretty much the standard in my experience.

I can use the practice.

High quality images are scarce, and you do not really know whether they are high quality images until you see the coin in hand.

I can tell just fine that they are grainy and pixelated.

It can be relatively easy to determine that an image is of low quality. Determining that an image is of high quality is a different matter.

hm

Agree horrible pictures.

I really can't tell anything from these pics. All of the pics you have posted in these GTGs have been rough, but these are really tough to interpret. Who is doing your pictures? There are a lot of threads here that can help you improve; if you want some pointers post a thread in the tangents section, and many people will assist you.

I really can't tell anything from these pics. All of the pics you have posted in these GTGs have been rough, but these are really tough to interpret. Who is doing your pictures? There are a lot of threads here that can help you improve; if you want some pointers post a thread in the tangents section, and many people will assist you.

My gut tells me the pictures are actually quite good out of the camera. There is some funky post-processing going on (particularly the downsizing algorithm) that is causing these grainy relics.

Kenny, what software and algorithm are you using for downsizing? If you want to email me a couple of the original full size images, I can process them using the proper downsizing method and see if they look better.