• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

After the Prez dollars?

26 posts in this topic

Just today I mailed one of these to each of several people in Congress, at NASA, Coin World, etc.

It is my proposal for a circulating dollar coin for 2019 and beyond.

There is a bill pending in Congress to make commemorative coins for the 50th anniversary of the first manned Moon Landing in 2019. My view is that is too narrow in focus and in distribution. What it deserves is a circulating coin to replace the dollar bill so that everyone can see it.

Obverse:

Apollo Astronaut on the Moon, with Lunar Lander in the background and Earth in the far distance. 13 stars above the horizon symbolize the future colonization of space. "DC" designer's initials at bottom center.

Reverse:

Eagle soaring above the Sun. Eleven major Sun rays are in reference to the Apollo 11 mission.

Specimen:

Struck over a US Mint "Golden" dollar coin (copper alloy). Slightly larger in diameter than a standard small dollar (27.0mm instead of 26.5mm). Reeded edge.

apollo_2019.jpg

Just today I mailed one of these to each of several people in Congress, at NASA, Coin World, etc.

There is a bill pending in Congress to make commemorative coins for the 100th anniversary of the first manned Moon Landing in 2019. My view is that is too narrow in focus and in distribution. What it deserves is a circulating coin to replace the dollar bill so that everyone can see it.

Obverse:

Apollo Astronaut on the Moon, with Lunar Lander in the background and Earth in the far distance. 13 stars above the horizon symbolize the future colonization of space. "DC" designer's initials at bottom center.

Reverse:

Eagle soaring above the Sun. Eleven major Sun rays are in reference to the Apollo 11 mission.

Gosh, and there I thought we landed on the moon in 1969, not 1919. ;):devil:

I think that design is very cool. The only issue I see is the size and reeding. So many vending machines already had to be changed to accomodate the Sacs and Prez dollars. I don't wonder if changing the size of another dollar coin would cause the same problems? And then is the public ready to be rid of the $1 bill? (shrug)

There is a bill pending in Congress to make commemorative coins for the 50th anniversary of the first manned Moon Landing in 2019. My view is that is too narrow in focus and in distribution. What it deserves is a circulating coin to replace the dollar bill so that everyone can see it.

Obverse:

Reverse:

Specimen:

Struck over a US Mint "Golden" dollar coin (copper alloy). Slightly larger in diameter than a standard small dollar (27.0mm instead of 26.5mm). Reeded edge.

apollo_2019.jpg

Kewl!

I think that design is very cool. The only issue I see is the size and reeding. So many vending machines already had to be changed to accomodate the Sacs and Prez dollars. I don't wonder if changing the size of another dollar coin would cause the same problems? And then is the public ready to be rid of the $1 bill? (shrug)

I'm not advocating a change in the size or weight of the standard small dollar.

The specimen I show is a little larger due to having a 27mm collar and not a 26.5mm collar. Also, that little bit of extra diameter allows planchet expansion during the over-strike which yields the type of luster I wanted so as to match the look of other US Mint "Golden" dollars.

apollo_2019.jpg

Overall, I like the design. Just a few things that caught my eye, and I would maybe personally change (if I had the skill set you had). :grin:

1. The sort of "ghostly" hint of a face of the astronaut through the helmet is a bit odd to my eye.

2. The kerning of the "UNITED STATES OF AMERICA" text on the reverse is a bit off to my eye. Maybe the letters could be more "stout" (wider) or a bit bolder (fatter lines) to help?

3. The eagle's head/face is a bit mushy -- I'd like to see more detail there.

All in all, a very nice design Daniel! (thumbs u

Preferably, Congress will allow circulating coins to return to stable configurations (with much improved designs), and use commemorates for promotional functions.

As for the design sketch presented above --- Gag!

A trite design combined with 5th grade art skills. Completely lacking in originality and artistic merit.

A 2019 moon landing commemorative - of any kind - should draw on the very best American sculptural artistic talent.

Preferably, Congress will allow circulating coins to return to stable configurations (with much improved designs), and use commemorates for promotional functions.

A trite design combined with 5th grade art skills. Completely lacking in originality and artistic merit.

A 2019 moon landing commemorative - of any kind - should draw on the very best American sculptural artistic talent.

Well, given the c-r-a-p I have seen coming out of the US Mint for the past 20+ years, everything gets the "Gag!" in my opinion. Design wise, I've not seen anything profound from the US Mint in years.

I don't think DCarr's mock up is any worse than the current coinage designs. I'm not big on the moon landing as a worthy topic for a $1 either, but I'm definitely 100% in favor of the demise of the paper $1 bill.

I'd personally like to see LIBERTY return to the coinage -- I am a big fan of the "CONCEPT" dollar design below.

2000_Liberty_Concept_Dollar_ICG_MS69_composite_zpsvozamj9i.jpg

Wasn't comparing the sketch with anything else. It's awful on it's own.

So where are these fantasy sculptural geniuses that the US Mint is supposedly sitting on?

Well, given the c-r-a-p I have seen coming out of the US Mint for the past 20+ years, everything gets the "Gag!" in my opinion. Design wise, I've not seen anything profound from the US Mint in years.

I don't think DCarr's mock up is any worse than the current coinage designs. I'm not big on the moon landing as a worthy topic for a $1 either, but I'm definitely 100% in favor of the demise of the paper $1 bill.

I'd personally like to see LIBERTY return to the coinage -- I am a big fan of the "CONCEPT" dollar design below.

The Sac dollar design is decent and much better than the other small dollars. The SBA and the only prez dollar I have seen directly (George Washington) I consider hideous.

I agree with you on the CONCEPT dollar design, really nice as long as this theme doesn't include the political correctness evident in the redesign of the $20 FRN.

The Apollo landing will go down in history as the most significant human accomplishment of the last 1000 years. It's significance isn't greatly appreciated by most people alive today.

As for the small dollar, it needs a complete reboot if the format is ever to become widely accepted. The regular Sacajawea design, however, is quite stellar and the only design of the last 50 years that is on-par with our classic coinage.

2005p-SAC1-MS69-up_zps8ornr0v9.jpg

"So where are these fantasy sculptural geniuses..."

They are out there, working, creating. A huge disadvantage for the modern mint is the absence of a professional Art Director to encourage and develop talent internally. A second major disadvantage is the paltry sum paid for accepted designs for non-Mint artists. Right now, the artist receives only a little more than was paid more than a century ago. Would you compete for work that took months to develop and paid so little?

PS: My comments about the illustrated concept are about the sketch design, not the designer or any individual.

Why the pathological envy ?

Here are some new pictures that show the detail better.

The first one is struck over a President dollar.

The second one is struck over a Susan B Anthony dollar.

astro_gold_obv.jpg

astro_gold_rev.jpg

astro_suzi_obv.jpg

astro_suzi_rev.jpg

apollo_2019.jpg

Overall, I like the design. Just a few things that caught my eye, and I would maybe personally change (if I had the skill set you had). :grin:

1. The sort of "ghostly" hint of a face of the astronaut through the helmet is a bit odd to my eye.

2. The kerning of the "UNITED STATES OF AMERICA" text on the reverse is a bit off to my eye. Maybe the letters could be more "stout" (wider) or a bit bolder (fatter lines) to help?

3. The eagle's head/face is a bit mushy -- I'd like to see more detail there.

All in all, a very nice design Daniel! (thumbs u

The ghost face in the faceplate is a bit off-putting. What would you think of putting an actual image of the Moon there tweaked a bit to highlight the "Man In The Moon" image most people recognize? I think it would be a good play on words, the Man ON the Moon showing the Man IN the Moon!

TD

PS:

I haven't struck any proof specimens. But this is what it would look like:

2019 Astronaut dollar renderings - laege images

Looks great as a Proof!

Thanks,

The face shows up better in the rendering than on the over-struck coins. It is hard to get it to engrave and strike because it is very shallow in relief (as intended).

Here are some new pictures that show the detail better.

The first one is struck over a President dollar.

The second one is struck over a Susan B Anthony dollar.

astro_gold_obv.jpg

astro_gold_rev.jpg

astro_suzi_obv.jpg

astro_suzi_rev.jpg

Got some nice clashes going on there. lol

And then is the public ready to be rid of the $1 bill? \(shrug\)

The public will never be ready to get rid of the $1 bill. At least not until it takes several of them to buy a tootsie roll.