• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which do you prefer? 1960-D Washingtons for the toner Dansco.

7 posts in this topic

Given good old coin collector OCD, I've actually already started TWO spare Danscos. My A toner Dansco 1960-D slot has already has been filled, this is to determine which Washingtons will go into the B and the C Danscos. As you can see, even the C toner Dansco will have some nice coins in it. I hope you enjoy them. The numbers I have assigned to these 3 coins is not necessarily the way I would rank the coins. Please let me know how you would rank the coins. The images are by Bob Campbell, and I think he did an excellent job.

bc1960D_rWA6o3_zps6t6i31md.jpgbc1960D_rWA6r5_zpsglu8sd6g.jpg

bc1960D_rWA3o3_zpsb26bb936.jpgbc1960D_rWA3r4th_zps68d9813a.jpg

bc1960D_rWAo4_zps8e470fdf.jpgbc1960D_rWAr5_zpsccbec916.jpg

I am judging these solely on toning. #3 is my favorite by a very wide margin. #1 and #2 are both kinda... meh, but the better reverse on #1 puts that in second place.

So, I'd rank them

I would rank them:

in that order.

Number 3 has it all but for a tiny tick in the right facing field. I still think #3 is the coolest.

Number 2 is smooth but doesn't quite have the color and appeal of #3 .

Number 1 has neither the strike nor eye appeal & color of the other two coins IMHO. I also don't like the die lines of #1.

3, 1, 2

In fact, 3 is WAY ahead on the my list so...

3, ........................ 1,2

jom

Thank you folks for all your kind words and input!!!

It is a difficult decision, as can be shown by the final voting scores for each coin. I've totaled and tabulated the final results from the 3 coin websites I posted to, e.g. the PCGS boards, the NGC boards and Coin Talk. Here are the final results for each coin. FWIW, my choice (was and) is currently to place # 2 in the B Dansco, # 3 in the C Dansco and # 1 in a red 2 X 2 box with my other spare coins. Personally I quite like the toning on # 1, but the hits on the reverse do affect the overall appeal of the coin. I will wait until I have all 3 coins back here, (plus my A Dansco one), to give them a final comparison to see which will go in which Dansco. IMO, they are all nice coins, so I can't really go wrong. Anyhow, here are the final voting tallies. Note that the votes don't all add up, as some people only picked one coin.

# 1

Five 1st place,

Four 2nd place,

Fifteen 3rd place.

# 2

Twelve 1st place,

Eleven 2nd place,

Three 3rd place.

# 3

Fourteen 1st place,

Six 2nd place,

Three 3rd place.