• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RMW Collection

5 posts in this topic

A new British Custom Set for William and Mary and William III

Here is a new custom set, setup for William and Mary (1688-1694) and William III (1694-1702). It includes arguably the best william and Mary Currency Halfpenny in existence.

At least three pieces will be added in the coming weeks, including a well struck 1693 shilling (many shillings of this reign are struck flat at the portrait).

17388.jpg

See more journals by rmw

That is remarkably nice. Why were the "III" and "II" omitted on the joint rule coins?

I never thought of why, but I would imagine that there were issues in connection with a joint monarchy. William of William and Mary was named William III after Marys death in 1694.

The picture of the halfcrown , also shown in this set, does not give justice to its lustre. The strike is also full for the issue. It also has almost none of the haymarking (impurities in the metal) common to the period.

There should be a stunning,very early silver proof farthing (currently PCGS Ms 65 ex-Terner), a 1700 shilling (currently PCGS MS 64) and a 1693 shilling (just acquired, British EF and unusually well struck) to add to this set in the next few weeks.

The only parallel to this situation for England would have been the short lived situation with Philip of Spain and Mary Tudor in the 16th century. However in that case both monarchs were the first of their name, and also I am not sure what rights Philip had in guiding the policies of England during that 4 year period.

William on the other hand had full regnal rights although they were diminished after the Glorious Revolution of 1688, and indeed he agreed to curb the powers of the monarch in order to gain support for the Protestant Wars against Louis XIV of France..