• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Meeting the competition.

8 posts in this topic

It's a small world sometimes.

I don't know if I've ever mentioned/discussed this before -- looking back I don't think I have. If I have I'll apologize to anyone I bore but this came to mind when I was looking through the registry today...

The 1932 mint set that I built with my step-father, several years ago now, has enjoyed several years at the top of the NGC registry rankings. Before we built our set though another set had dominated the category for 3 years. You can still see Penny Man's set in the registry if you're interested -- it's a nice one.

The year we were building the set (2008, I think) my step-father and I went to a coin show in College Station over the summer to see what we could find. While we were there we met this great old guy that was also shopping around -- who just happened to be Penny Man. It was shocking, bordering on bizarre to go to a coin show and randomly meet face-to-face the guy that owned the set you were hoping to compete against. He seemed like a great old guy and looked to be only somewhat older than my step-father.

He actually had the quarters that the backbone of his set with him at the show and let me look at them. This isn't to say he had any interest in selling them but he let me look at them!

Of course, as gloriously awkward and clumsy as I was at that moment I accidentally dropped on of them when he tried to hand it to me -- the joys of slabbed coins and soft carpet. I think we all got a laugh out of that one even though I was horribly embarrassed.

That was the same day we bought the MS66 1932 quarter for our set (from someone else at the show).

It's such a strange thing to think about now, several years later - and a really cool part of the history that that set that I'm surprised I almost forgot. It's such a small world some days.

See more journals by Revenant

Though I haven't met any of my competition, I have met several people who frequent these boards. I have found that they are every bit as delightful in person as they are electronically posting here at Collectors Society! Gary

I don't really look at other collectors or their sets as "the competition", more as examples of the kind of quality I can hope to attain in my sets. My real "competition" is my own goals for each set and the challenge of finding the missing pieces. With that said, my 1932 set (my mother's birth year) is in 4th place, behind your set, Penny Man's and one other. If I ever get the opportunity (and funds) to upgrade my 1932-D quarter it might move up a slot or two but your #1 ranking is in no danger.

I have met a couple of other CS members and board contributors in person, and a few more on-line, and it's been very positive in all cases. Congratulations on holding the #1 spot for all these years.

I don't really look at other collectors or their sets as "the competition", more as examples of the kind of quality I can hope to attain in my sets. My real "competition" is my own goals for each set and the challenge of finding the missing pieces. With that said, my 1932 set (my mother's birth year) is in 4th place, behind your set, Penny Man's and one other. If I ever get the opportunity (and funds) to upgrade my 1932-D quarter it might move up a slot or two but your #1 ranking is in no danger.

"Competition" was more a way to avoid a long-winded explaination because I didn't feel like it was core to the point and I thought this would be more tongue-in-cheek and funny - but ok. Fair point. I'm bearing no animus here or whatever. The point was the whole "small world" element of meeting that specific member randomly while shopping for coins to go in that set.

I've never had the pleasure of meeting any of the Walker guys here or across the street.

I'm sure that it would be a very enjoyable experience with a lot to talk about---I LOVE talking coins, especially Walkers!

I have, however, had some great conversations with dealers, at shows, and once I met a top ranking Washington quarter guy from ATS, at a show.

He was a likeable chap and great to talk to.