• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Matte Proof Question

6 posts in this topic

Why were Matte Proofs made in the first part of the 20th Century? Was it an experiment? Also, it was done on the copper, nickel, gold, and arguably on some Peace Dollars, but proofs were not made on the silver issues.

Then, of course, proof issues were discontinued for some time, with the standard proof process for all practical purposes re-continued back in the 1930s.

Any info on the purpose of the matte proofs and why they were discontinued would be appreciated.

Thank You.

During the renaissance of American coinage designs, the artists objected to shiny/polished pieces. Their designs were viewed as art and not in the same low category as Barber's utilitarian coin designs.

In an attempt to make distinctive gold coins of the new designs for sale to collectors, the Philadelphia Mint struck pieces on a high pressure medal press, then sandblasted them as was often done for medals. This resulted in what Breen erroneously called "matte proof" coins. The hobby is now transitioning back to the correct descriptive term: "sandblast" or "sand blasted."

Collectors of gold were luke-warm about sandblasted pieces, but when the mint tried omitting sandblasting, collectors were even less pleased with the satin-proof pieces (1909-1910).

Medal press proofs of several Peace dollar pattern designs were made both as satin and sandblast pieces. These were intended to show the design at its best for internal engineering and approval review. The same happened with some of the commemorative halves. A few coins were also antiqued (like medals) to give them stronger contrast between field and relief. Until recently some antiqued coin were confused with sandblast medal press pieces.

Sandblasting was not used on bronze, or copper-nickle coins or on subsidiary silver. Collectors proofs of Lincoln cents and Buffalo nickels were made by sandblasting a soft die, hardening it, and then striking pieces on a medal press. These are usually called "matte proofs."

jimbucks:

RWB is much too modest. If you are interested in coins from the era 1905 to 1921, buy his three "Renaissance of American Coinage" books and his "Guide Book of Peace Dollars." They are chock full of carefully (!) researched information and they are very well written. I think they are among the best books on US coinage written in the past couple of decades. The only drawback that I can see is that RWB refuses to give me a commission for this PR! :)

Mark

"The only drawback that I can see is that RWB refuses to give me a commission for this PR!"

But...but...I sent you a Commission as a genuine Kentucky Colonel and authority to fry chicken parts any place within the State of Kentucky - provided you brought your own fixin's and slaw.