• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best Auction To Sell Your Coins At?

11 posts in this topic

You will get a better reply if you provide more information about what you want to sell. For instance low value stuff is probably best for eBay. US vs world, modern vs classic, single vs lots might deserve different opinions.

jgenn is right. It is all about what you are selling. Some coins do best on EBay, while others do best on HA or GC...all depends on what you are selling.

Your complete set of Stella patterns would do will with a major coin auction company, as would your set of BU 18th century copper, silver and gold.

Your rolls of 1956-D nickels might generate interest on ebay or other low-end sites.

If you post a list of some of the items, the members here can help you.

Basically: Consign them were you would go to buy them.

Fees range from about 10% and up... but it's not an apples to apples compare, as some places charge the seller (e.g. eBay), some places charge the buyer and some charge both.

But buyers factor in the fees into their max bids...

Say I'm buying at Heritage with a 17.5% buyers premium and the coin is worth - to me - $100. I'm not going to bid more than 85$ as $90 + 17.5% comes out to more than the coin is worth.

fees are not as important as exposure

if you had 'A' ad sold it

at el cheapo auction site for $40 with 0 fees

or high rate auction site for $140 with 50% fees

where would you want to sell at?

As I have an ebay store I use ebay. I can auto relist an item 2 more x if it does not sell. I have control on what price and when I want to start auction. If items do not sell I can simply thrown them back in my ebay store at retail.

Some sites don't charge fees..

I'm unaware of any sites that don't charge fees. The fees are charged to the buyer, the seller, or both. And one way or another, the seller usually ends up paying for it.

There are other auction sites worth contacting like David Lawrence and Stacks/Bowers. For many factors discouraging selling through the larger auction companies are loss of control over minimum starting prices and long waits for getting paid.