• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Yesterday really was a ‘Good Friday’ for me…

14 posts in this topic

because I was able to add two more outstanding early commems to my set. Both coins are graded MS-67, one by PCGS and the other by NGC.

The PCGS coin is a 1935s San Diego. Both the obverse and reverse of this coin are bathed in a light lemon gold glow. There is also a faint pink hue that can be seen, mostly on the obverse, when the coin is rotated under a light. The cartwheel luster is excellent, and the coin shimmers in even the most indirect lighting. As is befitting of its assigned grade, the coin is mark free to the naked eye and is a very pleasing example of this issue. Here are images of the coin.

763596-1935ssandiegoobv.jpg763597-1935ssandiegorev.jpg

I left the NGC coin for last because I truly believe it is a special coin. It is a 1936d Rhode Island and the perfection of this coin is breathtaking! It is blazing snow white with excellent cartwheel luster and ample mint frost. It also has an extremely sharp strike.

The most amazing attribute of this coin to me however, is the total lack of distracting scuff marks and ticks that seem to plague this issue. The large national dealer I acquired this coin from told me it was one of, if not the nicest example of this issue they have ever carried, and in fact it is without a doubt the best example of a Rhode Island that I have ever seen!

I know, I know, it may not be the best liked design of the early commem series, and some may have a bias against white coins, but I’m telling you, this coin has to be seen in person for it to be fully appreciated. According to the NGC census they have graded only two other examples higher, both as MS-68. After seeing this coin, I would love to see what those two MS-68’s look like in person! Well, here it is.

763599-1936drhodeislandobv.jpg763600-1936drhodeislandrev.jpg

John

Incredible coins. The eye-appeal is off the charts for both pieces. I LOVE the light toning on the San Diego, and the RI looks exactly like you would hope a white coin would. Man, thats fresh looking.

Incredible coins. The eye-appeal is off the charts for both pieces. I LOVE the light toning on the San Diego, and the RI looks exactly like you would hope a white coin would. Man, thats fresh looking.

Well stated! Superb, John, and you are 100% correct that original, white commems can have extraordinary eye appeal. Finding ANY of them with the surfaces you describe is quite rare - congratulations! BTW, Anthony Swiatek? (He's a very kind man.)

Also, the San Diego is one of my all-time favorites of the classic commems. Just a beautiful design. And my favorite thing about the RI is stated on the ribbon above the anchor.

Very nice, John, very nice, indeed.

Hoot

Nice coins, John! The San Diego almost looks like it was struck in brass, while the RI, which is a scuff-magnet as you have written, has fantastic, clean surfaces. thumbsup2.gif

PS: I actually like the RI design. 893whatthe.gif

those are both amazing coins you must have gotten them from a truly specialized dealer/sourse??

as the look of these coins is not something you see everyday

Thanks for all the comments on the coins everyone. I’m also waiting for what I hope will turn out to be a great addition to my buffalo set. It’s a coin that I won in Heritage’s Palm Beach signature auction.

As usual, Heritage’s images of the coin stink, but it is an NGC star coin so I’m hoping that it will be much nicer in hand when I receive it. I’ll post it for you guys when it arrives.

John