• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Save the Indian

13 posts in this topic

OK, I bought a 20th century type set about 2 months ago. This particular set caught my eye because of some beautiful toning on the Kennedy and Franklin halves and a Roosevelt dime.

As I was processing out this set into my collection; I came across this little Indian that was dipped and in need of some honest restoration to bring back a bit of vintage and honor! I've heard of a process called "envelop" toning and was curious on how to restore this member back into its fold. She has four diamonds and is aching to reclaim her original beauty. So, I put across to the myriads of experts for "help"!

161480.jpg.b84ceeaa9285ee45fe3a4519cc01d3f5.jpg

161481.jpg.9c5ac34e65af94043705e4ce765ec12c.jpg

"Envelope" toning is literally what it sounds like. You put it in an envelope, and let it sit for a couple decades.

Collectors in times long past used to used 2x2 paper envelopes to store their coins (sometimes, a sale of an old time collection will include the envelope with the coin). The envelopes were useful because you could write all sorts of information on them, and store them handily. I have an old envelope from the Witham collection, when I bought his 1813 Bust half.

Your cent doesn't look too bad in these pictures. What are you seeing in hand?

Almost anything done to bronze will permanently damage it. Get the surface oil off, then leave it alone.

Interesting information on the envelope toning; I'll abandon any idea of retoning this cent in an envelope since it takes decades for this process to unfold. At least I have a few facts straight now in regards to what this means and how it occured.

To answear your question on what this cent looks like in hand; it appears to have undertones of a cleaned surface similar to what you'd find on a dipped cent but with 35+ years of retoning in a 20th century type set.

More specific; looks like brass in color and does not have any hint of red anywhere on the surface. The coin has an unnatural sheen similar to what you'd see on a polished coin; however, there are not any polishing hairlines that I can detect. The pictures don't show much of this sheen except for a bit on the reverse and hard to detect. Sort of reminds me of a dull proof surface that has significant toning but realize this isn't a proof. Best description I can convey without enhanced photos that would capture more of this description.

Thanks

I've never cleaned a coin except when I was in grade school and used a pencil eraser. I'll have to try this with some Lincoln cents pulled out of circulation to see what the results are. This does raise a question though; I've seen large cents in the past that appear to have a very faint shiny residue on the surface that sorta looks wet...is that residual mineral oil?

Thanks

I understand there are some talented individuals that can airbrush surfaces; nothing I would do but I wonder if this could damage the coin long term.

Thanks

Any mechanical alteration of the surface is damage and will ruin the coin (in my opinion).

Maybe NCS can examine it and offer some ideas?

Curious on how to restore this Indian cent?

Give a man a fish or teach him how...The answer to your question is in an old book on Large Cents.

If the man is starving, best to give him some fish until he is strong enough to learn how to repair computers.

Come on...I already read this fortune the other day after finishing my shrimp fried rice combination, and I even left a generous tip.

Thanks...